Visiting Assistant Professor, Performing Arts Administration Program - Full-Time
New York University - Performing Arts Administration Graduate Program
New York City, NY 10002
The New York University Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development invites applications for a 3-year Visiting Assistant Professor position of the Performing Arts Administration Program to begin September 2022. The appointed faculty member will join the Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions.
We are committed to substantially diversifying the composition of our faculty as New York University is dedicated to developing and implementing strategies that advance inclusion, diversity, belonging, equity, and innovation across the entire NYU community. We strongly encourage applications from 𝘄𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗻, 𝗣𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗹𝗼𝗯𝗮𝗹 𝗠𝗮𝗷𝗼𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗟𝗚𝗕𝗧𝗤+ 𝗶𝗻𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗱𝘂𝗮𝗹𝘀. NYU affirms the value of differing perspectives on the world as we strive to build the strongest possible university with the widest reach.
The Performing Arts Administration Program is designed to educate and prepare leaders for the various disciplines of the performing arts through the application of business skills coursework, industry-specific courses, and internships supervised by professionals in the field.
The program has approximately 100 full-time students earning a master’s degree. The ideal candidate will be able to educate and prepare students to pursue a career in a wide range of performing arts and cultural organizations in the private, nonprofit, and public sectors. We are seeking candidates from a diversity of backgrounds with innovative and broad skill sets who can augment and extend the current strengths of the program.
Responsibilities for this position include teaching six arts management courses annually at the graduate level on a wide range of topics as listed in the curriculum (https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/degree/ma-performing-arts-administration/curriculum), advising students, supervising graduate thesis papers, and conducting some of the program operational/administrative duties to contribute to the program development. In addition, the candidate will participate in faculty meetings and serve on department, school, and/or university committees.
- A Master’s degree
- Five years of professional experience in the performing arts or cultural/creative industries
- A strong commitment to and demonstrated excellence in teaching
- A Master’s degree in Performing Arts Administration/Arts Administration/Arts Management or a related field
- Seven or more years of experience working as a leader/innovator in the performing arts field
- Demonstrated successful teaching experience at the college level in person and/or online
- Training and/or professional experience as a musician, dancer, and/or theater artist
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively, collegially, and professionally with students, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of constituents in support of the campus and department mission.