Program Associate / Coordinator
1900 Market Street, FL 8
Philadelphia, PA 19103
SAADA is seeking a full-time Program Associate or Program Coordinator to join our team and support SAADA’s events, programs, outreach, and other initiatives. Our organization is at a key stage in our development, and this position is ideal for a candidate excited about the opportunity to help us build something bigger and more impactful and see the direct and immediate results of their work. If you’re eager to learn, conscientious about your work, and embrace challenges, then this is the right job for you.
SAADA is a community-based culture change organization working to ensure that South Asian Americans are included in the American story: past, present, and future.
Visit our website at https://www.saada.org
For the past thirteen years, we have documented, preserved, and shared stories of the more than 5.4 million individuals in the U.S. who trace their heritage to South Asia, the fastest growing immigrant group in the country. Our digital archive is the largest publicly accessible collection of stories and materials about South Asian Americans, and includes hundreds of oral history interviews, photographs, newspaper clippings, community publications, videos, born-digital materials, and much more. We also collaborate with artists, scholars, filmmakers, journalists, and community members to create content and raise awareness about our community’s rich and diverse history. Some recent examples of SAADA projects include:
- The publication of Our Stories, a first-of-its-kind book for high school and college-aged readers that brings together the voices and perspectives of sixty-four authors and demonstrates the diversity, vibrancy, and power of the South Asian American community
- Revolution Remix, our walking tour of Philadelphia through the lens of South Asian American history, with stories from the 1780s up to the present day, and an accompanying soundtrack of original musical compositions by five artists
- Our Archival Creators Fellowship Program, which supports community members in creating archival collections that reflect the histories and perspectives of marginalized groups within the South Asian American community
Our work has been recognized with awards from the American Historical Association and Society of American Archivists and has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Atlantic, NPR, and other national and international media.
We are excited to now be in a position to grow our staff so we can expand the reach and impact of SAADA’s work and increase the visibility of our community’s stories. We’re working to create a future where each person’s story is valued and given the dignity and importance it deserves.
About this position
We are seeking a full-time Program Associate or Program Coordinator to join our staff and support SAADA’s Executive Director in the planning and implementation of our events, programs, outreach, and other initiatives.
Examples of the responsibilities the Program Associate / Coordinator may have include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and participating in all aspects of organizing events, both online and in-person, including securing venues, coordinating with vendors, pursuing sponsorship opportunities, creating marketing materials, arranging travel, communicating with participants, etc.
- Managing and leading all aspects of event preparation and coordination, and supervising details related to the successful running of events.
- Processing materials for inclusion in SAADA’s digital archive by editing images, creating descriptive metadata, etc.
- Conducting interviews with community members for participatory storytelling projects.
- Updating SAADA’s website with new content and moderating community submissions.
- Conducting outreach to individuals and organizations to promote SAADA content and expand the organization’s reach nationwide.
- Participating in meetings and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Supporting other projects and carrying out additional tasks, as assigned.
In this role you will learn, develop new skills, and contribute meaningfully to the inner workings of a growing non-profit organization. We’re a small team making a big impact, and the individual in this role will play a critical role in SAADA’s continued future success.
Education and Experience
Note that we are accepting applications at both the Program Associate and Program Coordinator level. Please follow the instructions in the “To Apply” section below to indicate your interest.
- An applicant for the Program Associate role should have at least three years of programs experience in a non-profit setting; an applicant for the Program Coordinator role should have at least five years of programs experience in a non-profit setting.
- A bachelor’s degree is a requirement for both roles; a graduate degree is desirable for the Program Coordinator position.
- A demonstrated connection and commitment to the South Asian American community is a necessity for this position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with different audiences
- Ability to manage projects independently, thoughtfully, and to completion
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong analytic skills to assess and provide input on programs
- Taking initiative and showing enthusiasm for the results of your work
- Superior organizational skills
- An ability to pick things up quickly, including new software or a new approach to solving a problem
- Demonstrated adaptability and flexibility, as well as willingness to adjust to job duties as organizational needs dictate
- An eye for detail and care for the quality of your work
- Strong commitment to public service, particularly to working with underrepresented communities
Terms, Salary, and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position. For the Program Associate position, the salary range is $45,000 – $50,000; for the Program Coordinator position the range is $50,000 – $55,000. Benefits include a health insurance stipend, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, retirement plan with employer match, professional development funds, and paid time off.
This position is temporarily remote due to the pandemic, but a return to the office in a hybrid work schedule is expected when conditions allow. SAADA’s office is located at 1900 Market Street, FL 8, Philadelphia, PA, 19103.