BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange
Brooklyn, New York 11215
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is seeking a part-time permanent Operations Associate. Ideal candidates will have office management experience and bookkeeping familiarity and enjoy working in a busy multi-faceted performing arts environment. Must be detail-oriented, a self-starter, resourceful, and have the ability to work independently and as a team player. Experience with Google applications like forms and sheets required and Filemaker Pro or other database work a plus. This position reports directly to the Senior Manager of Operations.
This position acts as a direct support to the Senior Manager of Operations and also acts in an administrative capacity as part of BAX’s Front Desk team. This team is most often the first face an artist, student, or family sees when they walk into the building or the first point of contact over the phone. The position provides essential support to the staff by directing patrons, taking care of monetary transactions (registration, space rental, box office), and responding promptly to inquiries via email, over the phone, or in person.
As a core member of a collaborative administrative team, this position will attend BAX bi-weekly staff meetings and other organization wide events.
Start Date: Phased-in schedule starts with sporadic dates in July followed by intensive work August 20-September 5 and a regular schedule starting September 8th.
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is a multigenerational arts organization nurturing creative expression and artistic process through education, residencies, and performance at the intersection of arts and social justice. BAX was founded in 1991 and now serves over 10,000 artists, students, families, audience and community members each year. The organization is dedicated to serving artists in progress, from children to professionals, at all ages and stages of development. The multi-faceted nature of BAX programs invite artists to embark on creative journeys to develop their unique and authentic creative voices. BAX honors the power of performing arts to connect and transform individuals and communities.
BAX intentionally and purposefully supports the voices of underrepresented individuals and groups of all origins, ages, races, sexual orientations, immigration and disability status. All constituents are invited to join in our ongoing anti-racism, anti-oppression, and pro-inclusion work. The youth education programs, artist residencies, affordable rehearsal space, community engagement opportunities, mentorship, and performances, all center artists from historically marginalized backgrounds and prioritize lived and embodied experiences, and access, regardless of ability to pay.
We are committed to building equity across our programs, policies, budgets, and culture. This work demands that we identify and interrupt narratives and structures
that uphold white supremacy, sexism, and ableism. We respond to this call with rigorous intention and in collaboration with artists, families, students, collaborators, audiences, supporters, neighbors, board, and staff. And so we are accountable to our multiple communities and continue to learn and change while taking immediate and long-term strategic action. We aspire to cultivate a sustainable and just creative ecology where artists of all ages and stages thrive.
Position Summary & Responsibilities
* Heavy phone work regarding all aspects of the organization.
* Greeting the public (artists, students, families)
* Orienting new artists to rehearsal spaces and booking space
* Database entry
* General correspondence
* Cleaning including rehearsal studios, hallways, bathrooms.
* Ordering office supplies and putting them away.
* Class registration & attendance
* Assistance with mailings and collating/distribution of marketing materials
* Work with volunteers/interns
* General administrative support to Senior Staff
* Depending on the shifts, picking up children at local schools (by foot) and bringing them to our center as part of BAX’s After-school Pick Up program to participate in after school classes.
* For weekday evening shifts, Saturday afternoons, and all day Sundays, the Front Desk team is often the only staff member in the building and bares sole responsibility for opening or closing the building and for coverage at the Front Desk in the BAX Building.
* Help with training new hires in the Front Desk team and assist with scheduling Front Desk shift coverage or arranging for substitutes, as needed.
* Operations Assistant will also share “on call” responsibilities with the Senior Manager of Operations for which you will be compensated.
* Help to maintain and organize common areas (kitchen, conference/flex room, storage areas etc).
* Oversee inventory of general office supplies
* Oversee regular garbage and recycling removal system.
* Participate in upgrading and improving systems and procedures
* General support as needed to the Senior Manager of Operations
* Monthly invoicing (tuition and space rental) and follow-up calls as needed
* Receiving and applying payments; creating payment reports
Space Rental Management:
* Oversee the booking of rehearsal rentals in 4 studios
* Primary contact, in collaboration with the Senior Manager of Operations, for special rentals including classes/workshops and special events.
Ideally 4 Front Desk shifts totalling approximately 26 hours (Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat approximately 9am-3:30pm) plus 10 hours monthly to be scheduled with the Senior Manager of Operations for either special in-building projects, protected working time outside the front desk, or remote work.
Qualified candidates should email Sara Roer, Senior Manager of Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org):
* Cover letter
* Three professional references
Please use the subject line: “Operations Associate.” Strongest candidates will familiarize themselves with BAX’s mission statement, community, and programs. Your cover letter should include why BAX’s goals and work align with your career goals and your pursuit of this particular opportunity.
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and developing an inclusive staff team. People of color and individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.