OPEN CALL: 2023-2024 A.I.R. Gallery Fellowship Program
Brooklyn, NY 11201
The A.I.R. Fellowship Program was established in 1993 by former artist member Stephanie Bernheim in order to support underrepresented and emerging women and non-binary artists in New York City. Each year, six artists are awarded a year-long fellowship to develop and exhibit a project at A.I.R. Gallery. This year’s Fellowship Selection Panelists are artist Justine Kurland, artist Kameelah Janan Rasheed, and art historian Jeannine Tang.
In the last 29 years, the A.I.R. Fellowship Program has given more than 100 artists the opportunity to have their first solo exhibition in New York City. This program encourages artistic experimentation and rigor by providing a space where feminist historical precedence and intergenerational dialogue are at the forefront. Essential to this process are a series of professional development workshops, close collaboration with an A.I.R. artist-mentor, and scheduled studio visits through the year—including one with a selection panelist.
RequirementsIn order to be eligible for the A.I.R. Fellowship program you must:
- Be a woman or non-binary artist.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a resident of New York City, adjoining counties, or the Hudson Valley (Putnam, Dutchess, and Ulster counties). (September 2023–August 2024)
- Not have had a solo exhibition at a permanent venue in NYC in the last 5 years.
- Not be a student or enrolled in any degree-seeking program at the time of the program. (September 2023–August 2024)
- Not be participating in a comparable development, fellowship, or residency program during the Fellowship. (September 2023–August 2024)
- Not be a current member, employee, or board member of A.I.R. Gallery and must never have had a solo show at A.I.R. Gallery.
- Not be a Fellowship alum.