Media Coordinator Noguchi Museum
32-37 Vernon Boulevard
Long Island City, New York 11106
Reporting to the Communications & Graphic Design Director, the Media Coordinator assists to develop effective and dynamic communications for a wide range of audiences. The ideal candidate brings knowledge and passion about digitally-connected communities and the rapidly evolving landscapes of media and journalism. This is a wonderful opportunity for growth for a versatile creator with a deep sense of curiosity and a thoughtful, inventive approach to exploring the many ways that Isamu Noguchi’s art and ideas resonate and endure in the contemporary world.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Assist in developing media plans, communications strategy, and content schedules for storytelling and promotions around exhibitions, programs, development events, and other initiatives.
* Draft, edit, and produce concise, thoughtful, and engaging media alerts, social media posts, and other content as needed.
* Conduct media outreach, strategic networking, pitch stories, offer interviews, secure coverage, and other objectives as defined by media plan.
* Cultivate relationships and build community, with a focus on greater accessibility of the Museum for underserved constituencies, effective presence in local and international art and design media, and emerging digital and editorial spaces.
* Maintain contact lists and assist to maintain templates, style guide, and brand consistency.
* Arrange press visits and field inquiries; assist Museum Archivist and Communications & Graphic Design Director to coordinate image assets, captions, and other assets as needed.
* In collaboration with Communications & Graphic Design Director, ensure that the Museum’s social media channels and all points of public contact are responsive and consistently engaged with the community.
* Share and maintain reports of media coverage and help to improve internal reporting processes.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Media, Marketing, English, Journalism, Art History, or another related field preferred.
* At least 2–3 years of experience working in communications, marketing, or digital media at a museum or cultural organization, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
* Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and communication skills, with strong attention to detail and ability to adapt voice to various audiences and respond with efficiency and sensitivity.
* Visual design sensibility and typography skills, and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and other design and administrative tools are strongly preferred.
* Strong photography, video, and/or multilingual skills are preferred advantages.
* Demonstrated experience in all forms of digital communications platforms (ex. web, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, MailChimp, etc.)
* Experience with managing content in CMS platforms (ex Wordpress) and maintaining best practices for content management, organization, accessibility, and information security.
* Ability to interpret ethics and trends in communications (print, digital, and IRL), editorial platforms, and new media technologies.
* Excellent interpersonal collaboration skills, initiative, and follow-through.
The position is full-time and located in The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum in Long Island City, Queens. Hours are 5 days a week, 9 am–5 pm, Monday– Friday. Work is typically performed in an office environment; prolonged periods of sitting, use of computers and standard office equipment required to accomplish work objectives. Evening events and meetings, and weekend commitments are an occasional requirement of the position. During the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the Museum is maintaining an optional work from home schedule depending on the needs of position to be onsite.
Salary is $55,000 per year and benefits include a generous health insurance program, a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match, and paid time off, as well as other benefits.
The Noguchi Museum was founded and designed by internationally renowned American artist Isamu Noguchi (1904–1988) for the display of what he considered to be representative examples of his life’s work. In 1980, Noguchi renamed his Akari Foundation as the Isamu Noguchi Foundation in anticipation of the Museum’s creation. The Isamu Noguchi Garden Museum officially opened to the public on May 11, 1985. Learn more about the making of the Museum here.
In 2004, the private Isamu Noguchi Foundation and The Isamu Noguchi Garden Museum, which it operated, were consolidated into a single entity. Chartered as The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum, The Noguchi Museum is a 501©(3) public charity; and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM).
Please send résumé and cover letter via email to email@example.com with the subject line “Media Coordinator Position.”
Applications can also be mailed to:
Media Coordinator Position
The Noguchi Museum
32-37 Vernon Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11106