House Manager, Events
Flushing Town Hall
137-35 Northern Blvd
Flushing, NY 11354
Flushing Town Hall (FTH) presents multi-disciplinary global arts that engage and educate the global communities of Queens and New York City, to foster mutual appreciation. As advocates of arts equity since 1979, we support local, immigrant, national, and international artists, developing partnerships and collaborations that enhance our efforts. As a member of New York City’s Cultural Institutions Group (CIG), we serve to restore, manage, and program the historic 1862 landmark on behalf of the City of New York.
FTH celebrates the history of Queens as the home of Jazz, by presenting the finest in jazz performance. We are committed to arts education and hands-on learning, for the arts-curious, arts enthusiasts, and professional artists. We serve one of the most diverse communities in the world and strive to uphold the legacy of inclusiveness that has defined our community since the Flushing Remonstrance of 1657.
Reporting to the Director of Production, the House Manager will oversee the front-of-house operations during events open to the public. This includes events sponsored by FTH (Flushing Town Hall) and Rental events. The position is part-time with the expectation that the house manager will work regularly during weekend, evening, and some weekday events (as determined by production schedules set by the Director of Production).
• Serve as front-of-house manager for most events at Flushing Town Hall (both presented and rental), overseeing public areas and coordinating safety and cleanliness of a 308-seat theatre, and 125-person capacity gallery event space.
• Collaborate as a unified front with other front-of-house staff (reception, maintenance, and gift shop staff), as well as production staff, volunteers, and any senior staff, throughout the entire duration of each event.
• Attend production meetings.
• Ensure that backup house managers are designated, trained, and assigned to serve in your place when you are unavailable or when a substitute would be better suited to serve the event in case of language issues (When hiring and training substitutes, we expect to make every effort to select those who, in addition to meeting other qualifications, are fluent in Mandarin and/or Korean and/or Spanish).
• Assist in developing front-of-house staffing protocols. For example: staffing needs, seating protocols (accommodating late comers), keeping occupancy below required limits, and maintaining safe conditions in public areas of the theater for all event types such as: school shows (Grades K-12, morning shows), family shows (all ages, weekend afternoons), public events, rental events.
• Assist in developing specific protocols for assigned-seating and general-admission events and managing the on-site parking lot during events when parking demand is high.
• Serve as FDNY Fireguard or designate a qualified substitute.
• Keep Flushing Town Hall in compliance with fire codes for places of public assembly.
• Maintain FDNY Logbook
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience in performing arts management or production is a plus.
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Proficiency in other languages (especially Korean, Mandarin, and/or Spanish) is a plus for the House Manager role.
• Comfortable working with audiences of all ages and backgrounds in busy, high-stress environments.
FTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer: FTH provides equal access and equal opportunity in employment and services and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or physical ability.