Call for Submissions
Call for Artists: MOONSquare 2023
New York, NY 10013
Oct 15, 2023
Sep 25, 2023
Chinatown Arts Festival follows the Mid-Autumn Festival… and we all know what happens to mooncake tins after the mooncakes are eaten. They become treasure boxes of small things, memories, and preserver of wishes… see Hui Ma’s beautiful illustration of the mooncake tin as an Everyday Chinatown story. What can take shape in the space of a mooncake tin? Think!Chinatown invites you to express the spirit of the mooncake tin however you wish… lid on, lid off, using the box as a frame for an illustration, using the box as a space for sculpture or ceramics. Let the endless possibilities and the spirit of the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival guide you!
- Works must use an actual mooncake box, one that has housed mooncakes in its lifetime.
- The mooncake box can be painted on, collaged in, be the space for small sculptural items, house illustrations, we’re open to how it’s used, but it must be within the space of the mooncake box.
- In order to be considered, an image of your MOONSquare piece must be submitted before October 15th at noon.
- Artists will be selected by Oct 16th.
- If selected, artist is responsible for bringing the piece to site on our Studio’s Open House New York hours on October 21st and to pick up after the exhibit (if not sold).
- All pieces submitted will be exhibited at our studio (1 Pike St) and online.
- Participating artists are invited to contribute their piece to the exhibition-wide online auction starting at the price they choose. We’d be grateful for a 30% proceed share with T!C.
- This is for NYC-based artists.
- Please do not submit a MOONSquare piece that requires extra care (e.g. watering).