Assistant Production Manager
New York Theatre Workshop
83 E 4th St
New York, NY 10003
About New York Theatre Workshop:
At New York Theatre Workshop, we work relentlessly to empower visionary theatre-makers and bring their work to adventurous audiences through productions, artist workshops and educational programs. We nurture pioneering new writers like Hammaad Chaudry and Nathan Alan Davis alongside powerhouse playwrights like Amy Herzog and Ayad Akhtar. We engage inimitable auteur-directors like Rachel Chavkin and Sam Gold and give invaluable support to tremendous talents like Lileana Blain-Cruz in the earliest days of their careers. We maintain decades-long relationships with legendary theatre-makers like Will Power, Ivo van Hove, Dael Orlandersmith, and Caryl Churchill, whose work has shaped and continues to influence our very idea of what theatre can be.
Since our founding in 1979, we’ve produced over 150 fully-realized productions including Jonathan Larson’s Rent; Tony Kushner’s Homebody/Kabul; Doug Wright’s Quills; Claudia Shear’s Dirty Blonde; Rick Elice’s Peter and the Starcatcher; Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová and Enda Walsh’s Once; and David Bowie and Enda Walsh’s Lazarus. Enabling our artists to push boundaries generates work like Anaïs Michell’s stirring and unforgettable Hadestown, Geoff Sobelle’s magical and transformative The Object Lesson and Mfoniso Udofia’s epic, sweeping two-part cycle, Sojourners & Her Portmanteau. NYTW productions have received a Pulitzer Prize, seventeen Tony Awards and numerous Obie, Drama Desk and Lucille Lortel Awards.
But that’s not what we’re proudest of. We take the greatest satisfaction from the community we’ve built, and the perspective-shifting experiences we’ve delivered along the way. We think that theatre can bring people together, change the conversation, and have a profound impact. We feel fortunate to get to support it. If that sounds like something you’re interested in too, we’d love to meet you.
About the Team:
Our four person production staff oversees all aspects of technical and logistical production at NYTW, including five fully-realized productions each season alongside supporting the Next Door at NYTW programming, artistic development workshops and outside shop build projects in our state-of-the-art scenic and costume shops. These production facilities are located directly across the street from NYTW’s 199 seat theatre, 65 seat theatre, rehearsal room, and administrative offices. The production staff is composed of a full-time Production Manager, Technical Director and Costume Shop Supervisor, as well as two 2050 Administrative Fellows. Additionally, NYTW engages Lighting, Audio, and Props supervisors for each production in our season. The Assistant Production Manager reports directly to the Production Manager, providing to the production manager and other production departments as necessary.
About the Position:
• Collaborates with the Production Manager and Producing Manager on planning all aspects of NYTW’s productions including budgeting, scheduling and reporting.
• Manages the operation of the Fourth Street Theatre.
• Acts as the primary point of contact for projects participating in the Next Door at NYTW program in the Fourth Street Theatre, in collaboration with the Producing Associate, Artist Workshop Producer, and 2050 Administrative Fellows.
• Assists with all production office responsibilities, including payroll, expense tracking, petty cash and credit card reconciliations, research, purchasing, and vendor relations.
• Hires run crew personnel and aides in scheduling and staffing crew calls in conversation with production department heads.
• Advises and mentors two production department fellows as part of NYTW’s 2050 Administrative Fellowship program.
• Attends staff meetings, production meetings, tech rehearsals, and previews.
• Facilitates crew calls and covers tech rehearsals in Production Manager’s absence.
• Serves as liaison between production department and facilities personnel on operational needs in both theatres, as well as shared production spaces.
This position is overtime eligible. Salary is $40,000. Benefits include employer paid medical, dental and life insurance and paid time off.
NYTW is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and offstage. We encourage applicants with a unique cultural perspective inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, class, physical ability and sexual orientation.
• You build strong, collaborative relationships with crew members, over hire staff, directors, designers and all other members of a production team as well as with institutional co-workers.
• You have a passion for theatre as an art form and a desire to solve problems uniquely and collaboratively, recognizing that the obvious solution may or may not be the required solution at that time.
• You have strong planning, organizational and communication skills as well as knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• You have a desire to translate the creative needs and ambitions of artists and the institution into actionable plans and help lead those plans within the constraints of the schedule and budget.
• You have experience working in any aspect of the theatre industry, recognizing that a multi-disciplinary background can shape the best leaders and managers.
• You have ability to read artistic and technical drawings and/or have knowledge of AutoCAD/Vectorworks.