New York Theatre Company
New York, NY 10003
Who is New York Theatre Workshop?
Illuminating our world through theatre.
We are a community of artists and audience members who believe in the transformative power of theatre. For over 40 years, New York Theatre Workshop has cultivated a space where our common humanity is affirmed—where audiences are both challenged and delighted by the daring vision of our artists.
What will you do?
The incoming artistic leadership of New York Theatre Workshop will lead and inspire the creation of artistic work at one of New York’s most adventurous theatres. They will be responsible for all curatorial aspects of NYTW’s programming including its stage productions, developmental workshops, and residency programs.
The Artistic Director (AD) will build upon the legacy of NYTW to create a bold vision for its future. Cultivating relationships with NYTW’s community of artists, staff, board, and audience members will be a key priority as trust and collaboration remain a hallmark of what makes NYTW unique. The AD will advance NYTW’s essential artist-focused mission; valuing work and processes that are exploratory and organic. This artistic leader will continue NYTW’s legacy of defining excellence as the successful manifestation of an artist(s) singular and idiosyncratic vision. The AD will retain this focus on seeding NYTW’s programming with a wide range of visions, while negotiating the relationship between artistic risk and appropriate resources.
The AD will have a dynamic and open partnership with NYTW’s Managing Director (MD) to lead, manage and motivate the staff at NYTW. The AD will have co-ownership of the strategic and fiscal health of the organization through an open and dynamic partnership with the MD. Both roles report to and are actively engaged with the Board of Trustees.
How much are we paying and what are the perks?
Annual Salary Range: $180-200K
● Health, dental and vision insurance
● 403B retirement plan
● Ability to work remotely, from time to time
● Competitive vacation, holiday, and sick paid time off
How do I apply?
Visit aljpconsulting.com/apply-for-open-positions-1 to submit your application.
Who are we looking for?
This role is ideal for an emerging or established practitioner in the performing arts who is fueled by a sense of deep curiosity, and ready to make artistic leadership their central passion and primary focus. The incoming Artistic Director will be eager to make a strong, ongoing imprint on the organization’s artistic life and priorities, its artist community, and theatre in New York City and beyond. The ideal candidate will come with a strong artistic background and perspective as well as an inclination toward working within an institutional setting and in partnership with a board, staff and Managing Director.
The Artistic Director must be willing to reside full-time in the New York City area.
This individual will possess
● Enthusiasm for and openness to aesthetics, artists, and structures from across the American and international theatre; including mainstream nonprofit,
emerging/experimental, and commercial theatre – as well as significant experience in at least one of these sectors.
● Existing strong relationships with artists who represent a multiplicity of voices.
● A passion for challenging and pushing aesthetic form while keeping big social, political, and aesthetic questions at the center of the enterprise.
● A demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain relationships and trust with a variety of communities both within an institution and beyond.
● The ability to inspire and mobilize diverse stakeholders.
● Skills in community building.
● An orientation towards deep collaboration and the ability to work through challenges with transparency, vulnerability, and heart.
● Experience working toward anti-racist practices in the arts and an understanding of the dynamics of power and privilege into all facets of institutional life and artistic leadership.
● A sense of joy and celebration around artistic work and practice.