511 west 54th street
Part time / $24 hourly / Ars Nova / New York, NY
Ars Nova seeks an ambitious Artistic Assistant who is a patient, thoughtful communicator with exceptional attention to detail and excellent organizational skills. Reporting jointly to both Associate Artistic Directors, the Artistic Assistant will ensure smooth operations of the artistic team, managing multiple concurrent deadlines, priorities, and personalities. They will be a major player in facilitating robust communication between the artistic team, the rest of the organization, and Ars Nova’s artist community.
This is a non-exempt, part-time hourly position with an average of 30-hours a week, based in NYC with a pay rate of $24/hour. Ars Nova aims to compensate fairly and competitively within the not-for-profit entertainment industry, and on a transparent level salary system within the organization; our current Fair Pay Guidelines are available HERE. Benefits include paid sick and safe leave, an Employee Assistance Program offering confidential counseling, legal support, work-life solutions and the like, more. This position will require regular onsite, in-person activity (including some evenings, weekends and holidays), so the applicant should intend to reside in the greater NYC area. Ars Nova works on-site Tuesdays-Thursdays every week, with greater flexibility to work remotely if desired and possible on most Mondays & Fridays.
KEY PURPOSE OF POSITION/GOALS:
The Artistic Assistant will serve as the administrative backbone of an Artistic Team that oversees all artist activity, programs, and programming in Ars Nova’s spaces. The Artistic Assistant will provide on-the-ground support to the day-to-day operations of the Artistic Staff in the pursuit of the team’s goals.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
The responsibilities, competencies and expectations outlined below are representative, not exhaustive. Responsibilities may shift as needed to best align with organizational needs.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Manage the logistical aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Artistic Team. Providing hands-on administrative support to the Ars Nova artistic staff and Ars Nova’s artists. Including:
– Maintaining artistic staff schedules and calendars; scheduling external meetings;
– Meeting and presentation preparation and follow-up (including remote meetings);
– Artistic development and workshop preparation;
– Maintaining in-house artist hospitality;
– Attending artistic team meetings, taking notes, ensuring follow-through on tasks, and
helping projects stay on schedule;
– Creating and maintaining the show coverage schedule, including ticket booking & correspondence, organizing show reports and coverage databases;
– Reconciling expense reports;
– Maintaining artist databases, archives, and contact sheets;
– Providing administrative support to Ars Nova artists on their projects from initial idea to execution;
– Partnering with the general management and marketing teams to ensure
cross-departmental collaboration, and ease of communication between these teams and Ars Nova’s artists.
– Ensuring key information and decisions are communicated across the organization to the necessary stakeholders and teams;
– Responding to all external communications and solicitations sent to the artistic team from external vendors and artists;
– Building and maintaining systems for application processes;
– Tracking and executing assigned action items on the Artistic team’s behalf;
– Completing special projects as assigned, which have included serving as administrative lead on long-term management projects, such as organizing and participating in artistic long-range planning, and researching and reporting on issues impacting the field.
– You have 1-2 years of training and/or experience as an assistant or coordinator (or transferrable/equivalent);
– You are a strong, confident, patient, and kind individual who brings the FUN;
– You have excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability and ease of delegating and managing up and strong organizational skills;
– You have an appreciation for live performance and an understanding of how it’s made;
– You are a creative and proactive problem solver, adaptable to new responsibilities, excellent at time management, and retain new information quickly;
– You are focused, naturally differentiate between noise and news, and can stay on target while juggling multiple daily, weekly, monthly deadlines;
– You share our commitment to anti-racism and creating and maintaining an inclusive environment, are excited about joining our efforts to make Ars Nova a more just and equitable place to work and make work, and have the ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
– You have experience with Google Suite, Airtable, and/or Asana; or some equivalent;
– You have experience working closely with theater artists and/or leaders;
– You have your finger on the pulse of NYC theater, comedy, and/or music;
– You have a passion for Ars Nova’s mission.
– You have a passion for collaboration.
– You bring joy with you into your work life