80 North 6th Street
The Artistic Administrator, reporting to External Affairs and Co-Founder/Artistic Director, is responsible for administration of National Sawdust’s programming department and is the department’s liaison with the Finance Department. This position works closely with the Director of Programming, Digital Producer, Curators, Director of Composer Initiatives, and Ideas Zone Editor. This position also assists the work of the Production and External Affairs departments in the production, communications, marketing, and fundraising of all NS programs.
Based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn–this visionary arts and music organization seeks to enhance the human experience by building new audiences and supporting artists to develop, produce and perform innovative and collaborative work at the NS venue in Brooklyn, and in collaboration with progressive artists and venues domestically and internationally. www.nationalsawdust.org.
“As a composer, I believe the role of an artist in the 21st century is that of creator, educator, activist, and entrepreneur. I believe that 21st-century artists need to be thinking about how they can affect their communities, on a local and global scale. At National Sawdust, supporting emerging artists is our core mission, nurturing a wide array of voices who are collectively reshaping the landscape of new music for this new century. ”
–Paola Prestini, Composer, Co-Founder and Artistic Director
As it builds back from the pandemic, National Sawdust seeks to engage a detail-oriented and organized arts administrator to manage the administrative operations of its programming department and related special projects as needed.
- Serve as the administrative lead for the programming team to establish work-flow, and organize department files and databases. This position will also liaise with marketing and development and communications, helping the department thrive interdepartmentally.
- Contract Administration for all NS programs including preparing and distributing contracts and associated paperwork for performances as programmed by the curatorial team, licensing, and partnerships as well as filing and tracking document location and coordinating, as needed, with NS lawyers on contract changes and terms.
- Review and approve all hospitality riders and requests
- Support Director of Programming on artist contract negotiations, as needed.
- Arrange and negotiate all licensing and sync rights with music publishers, labels, and other parties as required for all aspects of the NS on-line presence;
- Interact with artists, donors, and audiences, including entertaining at post concert events as needed
- Maintain and update internal programming calendar for all incoming shows, productions, festivals, and series including:
- Adding schedules and breaking out marathon/festival days in coordination with the production team.
- Maintaining artist contact database
- Adding tech notes from pre-advance and advance production meetings
- Ensuring tech has the most updated instrumentation and performer names.
- Ensuring external affairs has the most updated program content and performer names.
- Alerting all departments of important updates.
- Artist visa support coordination: issue letters of support, coordinate assets for immigration lawyers to process P-1, P-5, and O-1 performance visas
- Oversee artist and programming related contracts and invoices and work with Finance Department to ensure timely and prompt payments
- Collect and file artist W9s, W8-BENs, CWAs, etc. for payment purposes
- Represent NS on artist settlements for all percentage contracts and finalize payment terms within 72 hours of a performance
- Coordinate budget projections and tracking with curatorial and producing team members and manage budgets as requested for assigned programs.
- On-site producer for select projects in venue and offsite as assigned.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned and as NS venue-based programs are reinstated after Covid-19 pandemic.
- Recruits and manages department interns.
Competitive compensation package with health and other benefits, commensurate with experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. National Sawdust is an equal opportunity employer.
NS CODE OF ETHICS
As a long-standing member of the Association of Performing Arts Professionals(APAP), National Sawdust adheres to its Code of Ethics for its members and Code of Conduct for its members conference in all of its programs and activities. All APAP members are held accountable for upholding the Code of Ethics and are required to agree and abide by the Code of Ethics annually as a condition of APAP membership. All NS employees and collaborators are expected to abide by this Code.
5-6 years of experience in arts administration
Music and/or performing arts experience and knowledge required.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Extensive knowledge of working with performing artists and production teams in multi-disciplinary settings and in dynamic, fluid work environments.
- Ability to establish and manage priorities, manage shifting priorities, multi-task, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team and independently.
- Excellent organizational skills; exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
- Demonstrated creativity, problem solving skills, and good judgment in decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including proven diplomacy, tact, and ability to interact successfully with a wide range of people.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrable managerial experience with proven ability to coordinate on behalf of a diverse team, manage budgets, and meet goals
- Ability to develop and sustain professional relationships and collaborate internally and externally for the benefit of the organization
- Professional manager level desktop computing proficiency
- Available to work nights and weekends as performance schedule requires