2021 Arts Center Residency
Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
New York, NY 10004
Throughout the pandemic, LMCC has continued to serve, support, and connect artists. More than ever, we believe that the creativity of artists and cultural organizations does not subside in the current moment and we are committed to these acts of care and stewardship. LMCC will rise to meet the immediate needs of the artist community we serve, with intention and responsibility toward our shared futures.
At the heels of a successful launch of a COVID-19 response program in 2020, LMCC will now turn our focus to the principal themes of equity and sustainability. Concurrent to Governors Island’s ambitious plans for addressing climate change and environmental issues in the long-term, LMCC is proud to join the effort in demonstrating the stake that artists must have in the timely issues.
This Open Call will provide short-term, project-based residencies to artists and creative practitioners whose work is concerned with the broader themes of equity and sustainability. These are thematic anchors which applicants may either choose to address explicitly or elaborate on how their practice and/or projects are relevant.
The residency will take place in the open plan studios at LMCC’s Arts Center at Governors Island in two sessions:
Session One: May 4 – August 20, 2021
Session Two: August 30 – December 17, 2021
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- A practicing artist and/or creative practitioner able to demonstrate a sustained commitment to their work, career, and a public audience;
- Able to express alignment with the theme of ‘equity’ and ‘sustainability’ through their proposed projects and/or ongoing practice (definitions enclosed in the application form);
- Must not have been supported by an LMCC residency program in the last six (6) months;
- Must not be scheduled to participate in another residency during the residency time frame offered;
- Artists who work independently or as a small collective (no more than 3);
- 21 years of age or older;
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021 at 11:59PM EST.
No late applications will be accepted. Virtual interviews will be scheduled for finalists. All applicants will be notified by mid-April 2021. Please do not call or email about results.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com with the subject heading, “RE: Arts Center Residency”