Vocal Ensemble Director Instructor I
University of South Florida
Tampa, FL 33620
Vocal Ensemble Director Instructor I
Department: School of Music / 0-2402-000
College/Division: College of The Arts
Salary Plan: Faculty – Regular
Hiring Salary/Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
The mission of the School of Music at USF is to advance the art of music globally while generating new knowledge in existing and emerging fields. Our more than 50 full and part time, forward thinking faculty, have spent the last year reimagining curricula that are relevant for 21st century realities, provide significant student choice, and are informed by diversity, equity and inclusion. The School of Music is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, and is housed in state-of-the-art facilities on the Tampa campus.
As the creative center of the University of South Florida, the College of the Arts provides an enriched, creative, and professional environment for tomorrow’s leaders in architecture, art, art history, music, theatre, dance, and design. The College’s three research centers lead the way making meaningful contributions to their field in practical ways every day, the most prominent being the university’s world renowned Graphicstudio.
Our Contemporary Art Museum, Wilson Gallery, three professional theaters and two state of the art concert halls allow us to produce nearly 400 events each year, including concerts, performances, exhibitions, lectures, conferences, masterclasses, and festivals—all free of charge and open to the entire Tampa Bay community.
The College is an integral engine for socioeconomic progress through research, advocacy, and engagement. Our interdisciplinary ecosystem facilitates, prepares, and educates our students and faculty to become creative leaders in a global society as we engage and collaborate to create lasting positive impact.
The School of Music at the University of South Florida is searching for a creative and collaborative vocal ensemble director. This is a 9-month, full-time, permanent instructor position which contributes to the teaching and service missions of the University of South Florida. Anticipated start date is August 8, 2022 or earlier depending on the availability of the successful candidate and the needs of the school. The Vocal Ensemble Director will offer a variety of vocal performance experiences for undergraduate and graduate students that include both traditional school choral ensembles, and groups that primarily perform music representative of urban/multi-ethnic communities. They will liaise with the voice, contemporary commercial, and jazz music faculty. They will also teach music education courses that involve vocal techniques and methods.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level #1 criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 29360
Posting Date: 11/24/2021
Posting End Date: Open until Filled
• Master’s degree, or equivalent professional performing experience in the field required.
• The candidate must document the ability to compose or arrange for a variety of vocal ensembles including those with atypical voicings.
• Evidence of leading educational workshops/conference presentations/clinics/curricula that explored and unpacked culturally responsive practice and decolonization in music education is also required.
• Terminal degree in music (e.g., PhD, DMA, etc.) or be ABD.
• Teaching experience in secondary and/or elementary schools where they were involved teaching both traditional school choral ensembles and groups that primarily performed music representative of urban/multi-ethnic communities.
• Candidates should also demonstrate a broad knowledge of the music industry including contemporary commercial trends in vocalizing (including singing, rapping, etc.). The candidate should document experience leading/directing both traditional University choral ensembles and groups that perform music representative of urban/multi-ethnic communities.