Theater Operations Associate
220 E. 4th St.
New York City, NY 10009
Part time / $24 - $30 hourly / The Connelly Theater / New York, NY
The Connelly Theater is seeking a motivated, dynamic individual to assist the Director & General Manager in his duties running the three spaces that are part of the Connelly Theater. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, an excellent communicator and problem solver with a passion for independent theater, excitement to be part of the team as we expand the space and number of productions that we host each year, and will have experience in general management, production management, or venue management. The job is part-time, averaging 20 hours per week.
ABOUT THE CONNELLY THEATER & CORNELIA CONNELLY CENTER
The Connelly Theater is a historic playhouse in the heart of the East Village that serves as one of New York City’s premiere venues for adventurous new independent theater. The Connelly is a curated rental venue. Facilities include a mainstage proscenium stage, an intimate black box (opening this fall), and a rehearsal studio. Past productions include: Kate Berlant and Bo Burnham’s KATE, Will Arbery’s PLANO (Clubbed Thumb; Drama Desk-nominated), A DELICATE BALANCE (NAATCO & Transport Group), Daniel Kitson’s A SHOW FOR CHRISTMAS, and premieres from Ars Nova, Soho Rep., Bedlam, Sinking Ship, Sasha Velour, Yangtze Rep, and many others.
The Connelly Theater is part of the Cornelia Connelly Center (CCC), and revenue from the theater supports the operations of CCC. Cornelia Connelly Center champions under-resourced girls, empowering them to realize their full potential from middle school through college and beyond. CCC offers a thirteen-year program, partnering with each girl and her family from fourth grade to college graduation. Through Connelly Middle School of the Holy Child, students in grades four through eight receive a joyful, holistic education. Our Graduate Support Program serves CMS alumnae, persistently committed to their high school success and college completion. With Cornelia Connelly Center, a young woman learns to shine – transforming her life and our world.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Theater Management Associate is a new position that is being created to assist the GM in his duties managing the three spaces that are part of the Connelly Theater, including the opening of the Upstairs, a ¾ thrust black box. This is a hands-on, mostly in-person position (offering flexibility for occasional work-from-home), with a range of responsibilities that include renter relations, management, facilities upkeep, technical theater, and marketing as part of a two-person team.
Most work will take place during regular business hours, however some nights and weekends will be required. The position works alongside of, and reports to, the Director. Most interactions will be as a member of this two-person team, in collaboration with the staff of CCC.
This role requires exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, specialized theatrical knowledge, and professionalism in all aspects, including interactions and communication with renters, patrons, and CCC community members. The ideal candidate will be energetic and affable, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and will have interest in, knowledge of, and a commitment to the independent theater community, especially new work. Candidates should have 2+ years of experience in a related position.
We encourage all applicants who are excited by this opportunity to apply, even if they do not fit every qualification. Many of the skills listed can be taught on the job. Passion and capacity to learn are more important than checking every box on paper.
The Theater Management Associate will engage in a broad array of responsibilities that span different skill sets from management to communication to finance to technical. The ideal candidate will likely have experience in one or more of the following areas: General management, line producing, venue management, company management, production management, stage management, marketing, budgeting/accounting. Basic experience with technical theater is helpful as well, however this is not primarily a tech theater role, and the specific skills needed can be taught on the job.
Work with the Director to ensure the smooth operation of the Connelly Theater. The ever-changing needs of each production mean that the job contains a degree of unpredictability. Some duties are shared with the GM, and some will be solely the domain of the Management Associate.
Theater & Studio Management
• Being on-site during load-in to welcome renters to the space and answer questions.
• Checking out companies at the end of their rental period, ensuring that the space has been returned to original condition, assessing any damage, and counting the inventory.
• Give tours of the space to prospective renters and incoming shows.
• On-site supervision of rehearsal room rentals.
• Keeping the spaces organized.
• On-call/emergency assistance when needed.
• Technical maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Participating in Steeldeck riser moves.
• On-site representative for film shoots
• Working with the GM to prepare the new Upstairs theater for rental.
Production Proposals and Prospective Renters
• Reviewing rental proposals, including reviewing submitted scripts.
• Discussing production proposals with the GM.
• Drafting rental agreements based on existing templates.
• Creating and maintaining calendars and schedules for rentals and recurring tasks.
• Organizing, tracking, updating, and sharing to-do lists.
• Monitoring general email inbox and voice mail.
• Communicating with renters re: payments, certificates of insurance, use of the theaters, and other needed items.
• Answering questions from renters and prospective renters.
• Maintaining and updated records.
• Updating social media and website, and creating marketing emails.
• Managing building key cards/access.
• Financial tracking and bookkeeping.
• Purchasing, maintenance, and repairs.
The Connelly uses the following systems to operate, and familiarity with some or all is preferred.
• Google docs
• Theater lighting, especially ETC systems
• Sound/PA set up
• Steeldeck risers
Part time. $24 - $30/hr, commensurate with experience. Average 20 hours per week.
By October 2, 2023 (somewhat flexible)