Stage Carpenter / Run Crew - Swing 3
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park
962 Mt Adams Cir
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion in all areas of its work, both on and offstage. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and life experiences to the workplace are especially encouraged to apply.
Primarily responsible for Run Crew duties in our new state-of-the-art Mainstage Theatre Complex Mo & Jack’s Place, The Rouse Theater with a specific focus on deck carpentry and automation. At times may be assigned to work in other departments. Reports to Production Stage Manager and Production Manager. Position available immediately.
This is a full-time, seasonal, non-exempt hourly position. Benefits include health insurance (through the union) and paid vacation and sick leave. Current IATSE membership is not a prerequisite.
Salary Range: $25.06 per hour eligible for OT after 40 hours
• Direct overhire run crew members as necessary.
• Assist in daily preparation of stage and backstage space.
• Maintain backstage space in a clean and organized manner.
• Assist with load-in and strike in either the carpentry or electrics department.
• Perform, inspect and repair any necessary rigging.
• Install, operate, and maintain stage and scenery equipment such as motorized winches, pneumatics, and motion control systems.
• Maintain a safe working environment.
• In coordination with the Production Management office, attend appropriate rehearsal runs prior to work on stage.
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
• 3-5 years’ experience in technical theater or equivalent industry or field.
• Run crew experience on complex shows with multiple effects, crew people and transition shifts.
• Experience with stage rigging including counterweight fly systems.
• Familiarity with installation, operation and maintenance of stage and scenery equipment such as motorized winches, pneumatics and motion control systems.
• Basic carpentry skills.
• Self-motivated team player that can meet deadlines and embrace a safety orientated work environment.
• The ability to self-critique and correct their work while maintaining sensitivity to the overall artistic vision.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• Experience with basic theatrical electrics, including hanging, circuiting, and focusing of standard stage lighting units.
• Familiarity with Creative Conners automation system including Spikemark control software.
• Enthusiasm for learning new techniques, increasing competency with current industry practices, and expanding problem-solving skills.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Able to lift 50 lbs.
• Able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
• Able to climb and perform work on ladders, cat walks and personnel lifts
• Ability to hear cues over communication systems and visually monitor action
• Comfort working at heights above 30 feet.
• Night and weekend hours required.
• Ability to work in dimly lit/uneven spaces (backstage during tech, trap room, etc.)
All employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park continues to monitor the pandemic situation. Qualified candidates will be expected to comply with Playhouse’s health and safety plan – while at work and outside work – that continues to be updated per latest state and Federal guidelines.
The physical demands and safe working expectations described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, requirements, or expectations of this position. Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park reserves the right to revise or amend this description based on business needs or changes to the work environment.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.