Solo Exhibition and Short Term Artist Residency
Tiger Strikes Asteroid
Brooklyn, NY 11237
Tiger Strikes Asteroid New York (Brooklyn, NY) is excited to announce their 2023 open call for one Solo Exhibition artist and one STAR (Short Term Artist in Residency) recipient.
The solo exhibition will run from July 19, 2024 to August 18, 2024. The exhibition will include a $1,000 reimbursable exhibition budget and professional installation shots. Submissions will be reviewed by TSA NY members. They will prioritize underrepresented artists, works that uniquely activate the space, and works that are not viable in traditional commercial markets. They encourage artists from all educational backgrounds to apply, and we are excited to see work from artists based across the United States and internationally. The artist chosen for the solo exhibition will work closely with a team of curators at TSA NY to prepare for their show.
The STAR residency program will be held in the TSA NY gallery space, from November 27, 2023 to December 27, 2023. The resident artist will have access to a semi-private gallery space for the term of the residency. This residency comes with a $1000 reimbursable production budget. Time in the space can be used for production, rehearsal, or studio development. Please review their Instagram (@tsa_ny, #TSANYSTAR) for work done during past STAR residencies, for an idea of what can be accomplished in this space/time. The floor plan for their space can be found here: https://bit.ly/2ToPCHt
Please note: They do not provide housing for the STAR residency; if you are not based in NYC, then you are responsible for securing a living space for the duration of your residency.
Selection process: This year, they will be introducing a new selection format. From the pool of applicants, TSA NY members will select 10 semi-finalists. From those 10, 5 artists will receive Zoom studio visits from our members. From this group of 5 finalists, the solo show recipient and STAR resident will be selected.
Your submission fee directly contributes to the operating expenses for this volunteer-run non-profit art organization. If you require a fee waiver, please reach out to us at email@example.com
- Open to professional working artists only. Currently enrolled students are not eligible to apply.
- Artwork included in the exhibition must be available to stay in the gallery for the duration of the exhibition.
- Submission fee is $30, non-refundable for up to 5 works.
- Up to 5 works - JPGs OR a combination of MP4s and JPGs may be submitted.
- Each JPG must be between 1280 - 2000 pixels at the largest dimension.
- Video clips must be in MP4 format (if submitted through SlideRoom). You may also submit embedded videos (via YouTube, Vimeo).
- All video clips must be no longer than 3 minutes in length. Please provide timestamps if needed.
- Title, media, dimensions and year are required for all items submitted.
- All submissions must be in by 11:59pm EDT on July 31, 2023 for consideration.
- TSA NY will reach out to finalists in September 2023 to schedule studio visits. Recipients and semi-finalists will be announced in October 2023.
- The artist’s full mailing address must be included in the submission, including city, state and country if outside the U.S.
- There is one optional question relating to applicant interest TSA NY STAR residency program.
- Check the FAQ for answers to commonly asked questions.