Seeking NYC-based Emerging Choreographers!
Mare Nostrum Elements
Queens, NY 11377
CHOREOGRAPHERS NEEDED FOR ECS 2022 (ECS #9)
Mare Nostrum Elements (MNE) is seeking choreographers for the 2022 edition of the EMERGING CHOREOGRAPHER SERIES (ECS #9) presented in partnership with LaGuardia Performing Arts Center-CUNY in Long Island City, Queens.
ECS is an intensive crash-course in self-producing; offering rehearsal space, compensation, career development consultations, and professional mentorship to selected choreographers. During the course of the program, choreographers will create, develop, and premiere a new work at CUNY’s LaGuardia Performing Arts Center (LPAC) in Long Island City. The program is totally free of charge—no application fees, no production fees, and no rental costs will be charged to the applicants or selected choreographers.
- Choreographer Compensation: $1000
- Dancers Compensation: $15-per-rehearsal hour (45 hrs max) + $250 for tech, dress, performance, and work-in-progress showing commitment.
- TWO fully produced performances in the Little Theater at LPAC (220 Seats)*.
- Mid-term work-in-progress feedback from a panel of established choreographers.
- Up to 12 development and production consultations with industry professionals.
- Weekly meetings for brainstorming and feedback sessions with peers.
- Guidance, marketing, and logistical help throughout the process.
- Up to FIVE high-resolution photos of the final performance.
- Unedited professional wide-angle, one-shot video of the performance.
- One-on-one mentoring with an experienced industry professional.
*due to COVID-19, detailed guidelines to be confirmed and subject to change.
The total value of the program (stipends and services) is estimated to $7,000/choreographer.
ECS 2022 Important Dates:
Nov. 7: Application process open
Nov. 19 & 21: Info Sessions (optional)
Nov. 28: Application deadline
Dec. 12: Finalists interview with Selecting Panel
Feb. 7: Rehearsal begin
April 4: Mid-Term Feedback Showing
April 21 & 22: Tech
April. 25: Dress rehearsal
April 26 & 27: Performances
PLEASE NOTE: that ECS is an intensive program that requires choreographers to attend weekly meetings as well as mandatory orientations, feedback showings, tech & dress rehearsals and performances. Choreographers are expected to be available for ALL dates and prioritize ECS.
MNE ECS is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. Choreographers of all styles, genres, training, and method are encouraged to apply. We are seeking works for contemporary, dance-theatre, experimental, ballet, modern, folk, hip-hop, tap, flamenco, percussive, fusion, etc. BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people of all faiths, race, ethnicity, age, ability, sex, and gender are encouraged to apply. As an organization we are constantly learning and growing in the ways we can operationalize equity and accessibility into our program design and work.
● Due to COVID-19, we highly encourage solos, duet, and trio applications. Only pieces with a maximum of five people will be considered (Maximum limit: 4 dancers + 1 choreographer).
● ECS pieces must be a new work proposal. Works that have been in-process, already-performed live or virtually, or that are scheduled to be performed before April 27th, 2022 will not be considered. New work may be an excerpt or a condensed version of a longer work as long as the sequence for ECS stands alone.
● We ONLY support stage-ready work. Dance film or media projects will not be considered.
● New work proposal length should not exceed 10 minutes.
● Committing fully to all ECS program elements is incredibly important for the success of each choreographer and the group. This includes orientations, Sunday choreographer meetings, peer feedback showings, rehearsals, workshops & professional development meetings, tech days, dress rehearsals, performance dates, etc. Participants unable to fully commit will not be considered.
● Due to COVID-19 safety concerns and budget constraints, applicants with collaborators will not be considered. For example: team choreographers, assistant choreographers, rehearsal directors, etc.
● Selected participants will need access to the internet, GoogleDrive, and their own laptop or device to access Zoom meetings.
● Applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the time of the application deadline.
● Applicants must be residents of New York City, living in one of the five boroughs.
● Applicants must not be enrolled in any degree-granting colleges or programs while taking part in ECS.