Registrar at Berggruen Gallery
San Francisco, CA 94105
Berggruen Gallery is seeking an experienced Registrar. The ideal candidate will have a BA or higher and at least three years relevant experience in registration or collections management. Superior organizational and leadership skills, the ability to carefully manage projects and meet deadlines, and a thorough working knowledge of registration, fine art shipping and logistics are required.
• Prepare and maintain consignment and loan agreements upon request from owners and gallery directors. Track expiration of agreements and alert owners of upcoming expirations.
• Catalogue incoming artworks in inventory system, notify appropriate departments as needed.
• Maintain and update gallery inventory: ship, invoice, consign out, price, and add works in and to gallery database.
• Obtain necessary information about artwork as required from relevant staff, artists/artist studios and confirming accuracy of all collected information-Working with artists, estates, foundations, museums, and other galleries.
• Liaise up with external institutions on behalf of the gallery to obtain insurance values, coordinate shipping arrangements for loans as needed.
• Work with insurance company to obtain valid certificate of insurance issued to institutions consigning or lending artworks.
• Maintain filing system for sales sheets, artist files, certificates of authenticity, condition reports, inventory cards, etc.
• Coordinate and oversee all gallery and client framing needs in conjunction with gallery directors.
• Draft, update and maintain client and artist appraisal requests.
• Work closely with owners, gallery directors, artist’s studio, art handlers, to coordinate proper packing, storage and movement of artwork according to owner requests.
• Coordinate domestic and international shipments.
• Provide shipping and crating estimates for exhibition budgets.
• Perform and create physical inventory of all artworks both at BG and offsite on a yearly basis.
• Produce Consignment agreements (both incoming and outgoing).
• Produce Loan agreements (both incoming and outgoing, esp. museums).
• Handle all donations of artwork.
• Oversee organization and coordination all shipments to and from the gallery of artworks.
• Help internally organize all exhibitions, shipping, works to be included, and coordinate with artists/consignors.
• Help internally organize all art fair packing, shipping and delivery of artworks, all necessary internal documentation in conjunction with gallery directors, and oversee all artwork returns and deliveries of works sold.
• Assist with research associated with catalogue raisonnes and gallery archives as needed.
• Assist with all incoming and outgoing condition reporting and assist with managing and overseeing conservation projects as needed.
• Perform all duties in accordance with the gallery’s best practices, procedures and protocols.
Requirements• BA Degree Required
• 3+ years relevant experience in a museum, gallery, or comparable arts institution
• Must have experience with domestic and international fine art shipping and logistics
• Must possess a professional and positive demeanor.
• Excellent client service abilities with demonstrated success working within a sales oriented environment.
• Must be extremely detail oriented.
• Must be willing to work evenings and a Tuesday-Saturday schedule if required.
• Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Excellent communication and written skills required.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word (Excel, Outlook), Google Suite, Gmail. Familiarity with art database management systems. Photoshop a plus.