Programs Coordinator Asian American Writers’ Workshop
Asian American Writers’ Workshop
112 W 27th St Ste 600
New York, NY 10001
The Asian American Writers’ Workshop (AAWW) seeks a Programs Coordinator – a critical member of the Programs team who will provide administrative support for the Workshop’s public programs, fellowships, and community workshops.
The Programs Coordinator will report to the Programs Manager and work with the Programs and Workshops Coordinator to implement AAWW’s overarching programming strategy, ensuring that all programs align with the organization vision and mission. This position will be responsible for boosting department capacity by overseeing daily administrative and logistical operations, and utilizing existing systems to bring all aspects of programming to life in a consistent and careful manner.
The ideal candidate for this role is collaborative, organized, and proactive, familiar with the contemporary literary landscape and New York publishing industry, and has experience coordinating multiple projects at the same time.
The Program Coordinator’s main responsibilities will be split across three major areas of focus:
Public Programs: AAWW presents a robust calendar of public programs each year, celebrating and uplifting Asian diasporic writers across all genres. The Program Coordinator’s responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Providing support for virtual and in-person events hosted at the Workshop. These tasks may include coordinating with authors and publishers, running tech rehearsals, managing RSVPs, and setting up mics/speakers in the event space or providing technical support over Zoom/Crowdcast.
- Assisting the Programs Manager in running and supervising audio, visual, and technical aspects of live events, and archiving post-event multimedia.
- Coordinating with the Communications team to promote events. This may include building Mailchimp e-blasts, graphics for social media, writing and editing event copy, and creating and managing event pages on WordPress.
- Day-to-day tasks will include monitoring the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox, and boosting team capacity through daily and one-off administrative tasks.
Fellowships: AAWW offers two unique and innovative Fellowships – The Margins and the Open City Fellowships – that provide financial, editorial, and collaborative support to two cohorts of emerging writers each year. The Program Coordinator’s responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting with scheduling a robust program of guest speakers for each cohort, managing paperwork and logistics for speakers and Fellows.
- Along with the Programs Manager, the Programs Coordinator will be in regular communication with the Fellows, providing organizational support as needed throughout their Fellowship terms.
- Providing assistance with the annual application process for the Margins and Open City fellowships, monitoring applications on Submittable, and helping complete the application cycle within stated deadlines.
CreateNow: The CreateNow program places writers and teaching artists in high schools and senior centers across New York City, providing opportunities for students and seniors to engage in art-making, writing, and other creative practices. The Program Coordinator’s responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Overseeing day-to-day coordination of teaching artists and school contacts, tracking student/senior attendance and budgets, and coordinating delivery of class materials as needed.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1-2 years of relevant experience.
- Interest in literature, programming, and using programming to build community.
- Familiarity with and/or demonstrated interest in writing pedagogy and education.
- Demonstrated project management, multi-tasking, and communication skills, and excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Flexible, creative team player.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of tools including Mailchimp, Eventbrite, WordPress, Submittable, and CRM database management a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The AAWW offers a strong benefits package including a generous vacation policy and fully-covered health insurance.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will temporarily be a remote position as the AAWW staff continues to telecommute. Candidates not currently based in New York City will be expected to relocate once AAWW staff return to in-person work.