Irish Arts Center
553 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019
Part time / $15 hourly / Irish Arts Center / New York, NY
IAC seeks an intern to assist with all aspects of its cultural programming. In this position the intern will develop the practical skills required to work in a nonprofit performing arts organization, and will have a chance to explore and work on all aspects of event curation, production and execution. Interns gain experience in scheduling, artist management and hospitality, cross cultural organization partnerships, local government partnerships, arts in education, submission processing, and more. The intern will be actively engaged in the planning and implementation of performances and events in each of the disciplines encompassed in IAC’s activities (theatre, music, visual arts, dance, film, literature, comedy). This is a valuable opportunity for someone interested in working in the arts.
Tasks will be assigned in the following areas:
Development Residencies and Rentals
• act as point of contact for development residencies and community space usage
• assist in updating programming and residency calendar in ArtsVision
• provide on-site assistance to artists and community partners using the space and associated technical staff
• liaise with programming team on invoicing and budget reconciliation
Performances & Exhibitions
• recruit and coordinate volunteer efforts surrounding major community initiatives
• provide logistical and hands on support to Program team in execution of all multi-discipline events, at IAC’s home on 11th Avenue, and offsite at partner organizations
• provide tours of venue
• assist with merchandise organization & sales
• provide general office and administrative support, including data entry and scheduling
• organize, read and discuss incoming submissions
• conduct preliminary artist research (contact info, CVs, basic background) and track projects of interest
• Candidates should have an interest in New York City’s cultural community and the not-for-profit field.
• Intern must be motivated to work quickly and independently.
• Demonstrated research and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently or take direction from several members of a team, as needed.
• Familiarity with a range of computer programs, including the Microsoft Office suite.
• Experience or interest in learning how a theater/performance venue operates.
IAC expects each intern to commit to a minimum of 2.5 days per week during regular business hours of 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Some evening and weekend hours may be required. The time commitment and hours are somewhat flexible, depending upon the individual candidate. Candidate must be available to work on site in Manhattan, though remote work is possible when not actively engaged in events.
IAC will assist interns in receiving course credit, where available.
As IAC is committed to representing diverse identities in our artistic programming, so too are they committed to diverse representations in our administrative team. They are proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer, and will consider all applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Irish Arts Center:
Irish Arts Center (IAC) is a national and international home for artists and audiences of all backgrounds. Based in Hell’s Kitchen, New York City, Irish Arts Center presents, develops, supports, and promotes work from established and emerging artists, providing cultural experiences that are innovative, collaborative, diverse, authentic, and emotionally and intellectually transporting, meet the highest standards of excellence, and celebrate our common humanity in an environment of Irish hospitality. Founded in 1972, throughout our history the Center has also provided community education programs and access to the arts for adults and children of all ages and ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Irish Arts Center recently completed construction of a $60 million landmark new permanent home, including a state of the art flexible performance and arts space for the presentation and development of work across a range of disciplines, including music, dance, theatre, film, visual arts, literature and the humanities; classrooms and studio spaces for education programs, development, and collaboration; technology to stream and distribute content on the digital platform; and an avenue-facing lobby café that is a hub for hospitality and interaction between artists and audiences. As part of a second phase, IAC will renovate its adjacent existing 51st Street building to provide a second, intimate performance space—the historic Irish Arts Center theatre—optimized for the most intimate live music and conversation, recordings, podcasts, master classes and special events, and a courtyard entrance on 51st Street where the historic Irish Arts Center and the new building meet.
As IAC is committed to representing diverse identities in our artistic programming, so too are we committed to diverse representations in our administrative team. Irish Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned.
Hourly Rate: $15/hour; min 20 hours/week (more hours are possible during heavy performance periods)
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject “Program Intern”