The Bushwick Starr
419 ELDERT STREET
Brooklyn, NY 11237
The Bushwick Starr theater seeks a collaborative and highly motivated full-time Production Manager to join their team.
The Bushwick Starr is an Obie Award winning not-for-profit theater that presents an annual season of new performance works. They are an organization defined by both our artists and our community, and since 2007, they have grown into a thriving theatrical venue, a vital neighborhood arts center, and a destination for exciting and engaging performance. They provide a springboard for emerging artists to make career-defining leaps, and they are a sanctuary where established artists come to experiment and innovate. They are also a neighborhood playhouse, serving our Bushwick, Brooklyn community’s diverse artistic needs and impulses. They produce between 3-5 main stage shows per season, in addition to several education programs, community / special events, and development opportunities such as our new play Reading Series and artist residencies. The Bushwick Starr is currently in the process of a large capital campaign to fund a construction project to renovate its new building in Bushwick, purchased in 2021 after the loss of the original theater space in 2020.
The Starr is an organization that has historically been run by an executive team of white, cisgendered people. As they grow, they continue to envision a team and model that reflects the 21st century world they live in and serves the local and national community. They are currently not only defining where they have been, but also envisioning where they want to go. The Bushwick Starr is committed to continuing its implementation of anti-oppression practices and training for all staff and board members. They created our Code of Community, a living document on the website, that details the codes by which all who pass through our doors will be treated and expected to treat others. They hold regular staff forums and joint board/staff trainings to continue our development in Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA).
Production Manager Job Description:
The Production Manager is a pivotal position in the production department, working in close collaboration with the Technical Director and reporting to the Artistic Director, Producing Director, and Creative Director.
These positions work together in setting the direction and execution of our annual Seasons of new performance work.
The Production Manager is a hands on, in-person and on-site position at The Bushwick Starr, with regular oﬃce hours. Given the nature of performance production schedules, some nights and weekends will be required for productions and special events. When work extends beyond a conventional workday, comp time can be taken to accommodate these needs.
The Starr is very much an environment of artists/administrators who are passionate about supporting new work, ambitious artists, and programs & partnerships in Bushwick. Their relatively small size allows them to work closely and collaboratively, and as such, they value transparency, strong communication, and democratic decision-making practices between roles and departments.
- Production Managing shows
- Creating and managing production calendars and schedules with Technical Director (TD) and relevant collaborators (eg., load in and tech in collaboration with Stage Manager, or Education Director for after-school programs).
- Creating and tracking project Budgets with TD, Producing Director (PD) and lead artists.
- Scheduling and running production meetings.
- Leading conversations with designers and TD, anticipating the logistics of each project, holding production deadlines, and maintaining clear communication between creative teams and Starr staff throughout.
- Organizing, tracking, and sharing to-do lists in collaboration with TD to determine order of operations for all design and production departments.
- Working with PD to hold and manage the production section of project budgets, discuss any potential overages that arise during the production process, and bring creative team needs in, within budget.
- Production materials purchasing, bidding out to vendors as needed, invoice & receipt tracking.
- Financial reporting to PD, and reconciling the budget with PD at the end of projects.
- Working with Company & Cultural Manager (CCM) and PD on hiring and managing all crew and technical staff, including scheduling, onboarding, mediating interpersonal issues, and ensuring physical and emotional safety on the job.
- Booking and performance tracking of crew in dialogue with TD.
- Overseeing load-ins and strikes, and sharing coverage of all crew calls and technical rehearsals with TD.
- Tracking and submitting payroll for all hourly technical staff.
- Maintaining COVID safety protocols for production activities.
- Collaborating with production team on facility responsibilities.
- Update/maintain facility rider, including rules and inventory, in collaboration with TD.
- Managing, with TD, storage of materials and equipment in the building.
- Oversight of annual venue/occupancy budget.
- Working with Starr staff to prepare for the company move into the new venue.
- Production management of all events, including gala, Summer Arts Festival, Reading Series, Big Green Theater and other Education & Community events as needed.
- Help develop the Starr’s new Fellowship/Apprenticeship program with TD, and other Starr Staff.
- Make decisions through a diplomatic dialogue with other staff and the artistic teams.
- Take initiative to lead conversations and processes.
- Work with different personalities and needs.
- Manage time efficiently for the production schedule throughout the Starr Season.
- Actively participate in staff forums, strategic planning conversations and staff retreats, and other optional staff committees as chosen (eg. Inclusion Committee).
- Maintain a high level of organization and communication.
The annual salary for the Production Manager is $60K, plus health and retirement benefits.
Position begins: 12/4/23, with applications accepted through 9/8/23.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume and a list of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.