OPEN CALL: A.I.R. FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM 2024-2025
155 Plymouth St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
The A.I.R. Fellowship Program was established in 1993 by former artist member Stephanie Bernheim in order to support underrepresented and emerging women and non-binary artists in New York City. Each year, six artists are awarded a year-long fellowship to develop and exhibit a project at A.I.R. Gallery.
In the last 30 years, the A.I.R. Fellowship Program has given more than 100 artists the opportunity to have their first solo exhibition in New York City. This program encourages artistic experimentation and rigor by providing a space where feminist historical precedence and intergenerational dialogue are at the forefront. Essential to this process are a series of professional development workshops, close collaboration with an A.I.R. artist-mentor, and scheduled studio visits through the year—including one with a selection panelist.
Since 2009, A.I.R. Gallery has named one yearly A.I.R. Fellowship seat in memory of the artist, activist, writer, and feminist Emma Bee Bernstein (1985–2008). In recognition of Emma’s significant contributions as a young artist, the youngest A.I.R. Fellowship recipient receives the honor of holding the Emma Bee Bernstein Fellowship.
- A woman or non-binary artist
- 18 years of age or older
- A resident of New York City, adjoining counties, or the Hudson Valley (Putnam, Dutchess, and Ulster counties) (September 2024–August 2025)
- Have not had a solo exhibition at a permanent venue in NYC in the last 5 years
- Not a student or enrolled in any degree seeking program at the time of the program (September 2024–August 2025)
- Not participating in a comparable development, fellowship, or residency program at the time of the program at A.I.R. (September 2024–August 2025)
- Not currently a member, employee, or board member of A.I.R. Gallery, and have not had a solo show at A.I.R.
- Not a Fellowship alum