Open Call: 14Y Theater Programs and Co-Productions
14th Street Educational Alliance
344 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003
14th Street Educational Alliance seeks a variety of programs, performances/productions, and artists to be a part of their seasons spanning January 2024 through June 2025 in their Black Box Theater and Gallery Spaces. The team is looking for work across disciplines and genres, including but not limited to theater, theater for young audiences, dance, music, puppetry, multimedia, performance art, visual, culinary, literary, panels, speakers and cultural/folk arts or any combination thereof.
Curated productions and events could be anything from one-night events to three-week engagements.All productions co-presented by the 14th Street Y must go through a submission process before being curated into our season. If renting our space is a better fit, please refer to our rental page. For performance-based works, we are seeking projects with producing companies, or a lead producer attached. Please note that we act as a co-presenter, not a producer for projects. We cannot fully execute or produce your script or production for you.
* Application opens: September 8, 2023
* Application closes: October 31, 2023
* Applicants will be notified of their status on a rolling basis starting in December 2023
* Semi-finalist applicants will be invited for an interview/conversation December 2023 – February 2024
* Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis January 2024 – March 2024
* We will be selecting productions and programs to begin February 2024 through June 2025.
14Y Theater Submission Guidelines:
* We encourage applicants to review our technical specifications and theater details before applying: TheaterTech Specs and Documents
* The 14Y Arts + Culture Team is only able to accept the first 200 applications
* We accept submissions for single night, weekend runs, and one-week to three-weeklong engagements.
* We are seeking projects with producing companies, or a lead producer attached as we are a co-presenter.
* All applications will be reviewed by the Director of Arts + Culture, the 14Y artistic staff and artistic advisory committee.
* Pieces that have elements of social awareness, challenges, or speak to the diverse East Village community and artists/collectives, and/or pieces that highlight or represent underrepresented voices and identities are highly encouraged to apply.
Co-Productions/Presentations are provided with the following production support:
* Basic technical and administrative support and guidance.
* Consultation with the 14Y Arts + Culture team.
* Basic marketing and promotional support, which could be inclusion on the 14Y website and in relevant newsletters, posts and cross-promotions on 14Ysocial media channels, the display of posters and printed collateral (post cards, flyers, etc.), and other support based on the capacity of the 14Y Marketing team.
* Access and use to the 14Y Theater’s extensive stock of set furniture, flats and hand props.
* In-house ticketing set up and services on OvationTix, and third-party ticketing.
* House management and front of house staffing for all performances (limit of 8 shows per week).
* Access to our recommended list of stage managers, technicians, and designers.
* Full use of our basic lighting, sound and soft goods package.
* Access to our in-house set flats.
* Discounted rate to onsite rehearsal studios.
* Access to our wardrobe/costume workstation while in production.
* Access to our shared workspace and desks while in production.
* Ticket discounts to 14Y workshops and productions.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older at the time of the application.
- If you are between the ages of 18 and 21 and wish to request for an exception to eligibility, please email us to discuss, and we will review on a case-by-case basis.
- The 14Y accepts applications from artists working in all performing and creative disciplines.
- The 14Y welcomes artists at any stage of their career to apply.
- Applicants are not limited to New York City; however, travel and accommodation are the financial responsibility of the applicant.
- International participants are responsible for their own visas, travel, living, and housing expenses and arrangements.
- It is the policy of 14Y to provide equal opportunity to all applicants and to oppose all forms of discrimination, including discrimination based on sex, race, color, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, and physical condition.