Boston Lyric Opera
15 Channel Center Street, #106
Now in its 46th Season, Boston Lyric Opera’s programming remains faithful to tradition while blazing new ground, building audiences, and creating new ways to enhance the opera-going experience. Since its founding in 1976, Boston Lyric Opera continues to celebrate the art of the voice through innovative productions and public programming. BLO has produced world and U.S. premieres, commissions, and co-productions of note, ranging from live stage productions to films streamed worldwide on its platform, operabox.tv.
Alongside its main stage programming, BLO artists in our Jane & Steven Akin Emerging Artists initiative work to hone their craft and prepare for the next step in their careers while BLO’s wide-reaching community programming and education initiatives introduce opera to new audiences across generations. BLO employs nearly 350 artists and creative professionals annually—vocalists, artisans, stagehands, costumers, scenic designers, administrators, and beyond.
DEPARTMENT: Public Engagement
REPORTS TO: Marketing & Communications Manager
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
WORK LOCATION(S): Hybrid Work, Offsite Events, Theater, BLO Main Office
LOCATION: Greater Boston area
Boston Lyric Opera seeks a Marketing Coordinator to provide daily support for marketing activities at BLO. This position will create regular marketing emails, as well as coordinate content capture, content design, and organization. This position also provides support for general marketing activities, such as updating BLO’s website and supporting the social media team.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Create and execute regular marketing emails and newsletters, providing copy and curating images.
- Organize content capture planning, scheduling, and execution for BLO productions, public programs, and community events, providing and scheduling event coverage.
- Coordinate details for promotional photo and video capture with all stakeholders, including, but not limited to, artistic, production, and creative teams.
- Organize and maintain archival library of BLO photography and video content capture. Design in-house promotional materials and assets to supplement external design work as needed.
- Collaborate in keeping BLO’s website up to date.
- Provide support for social media team as needed.
- Provide onsite staffing for BLO productions, public programs, and community events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A creator who enjoys telling stories through both written and visual mediums.
- A curator who has an eye for compelling visuals.
- A methodical organizer who finds beauty in creating order from chaos.
- Passionate about art and bonus points if its opera.
- A dynamic, small team with big ambitions; we move fast with a “fail forward” mindset.
- Believers that opera can be everything and everywhere – an art form that belongs to all.
- A team unified around all areas of public engagement, taking an integrated approach to the audience experience, from community and public programming, to how we communicate and welcome audiences into the theater.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a related field and/or 1-3 years of non-profit or performing arts marketing experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, Prospect2, Canva, WordPress, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office & Dropbox; knowledge of Google Analytics, HTML, and web technologies.
- Experience in social media platform management, including Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, able to effectively work independently and within a team framework.
- Graphic design experience preferred.
- Experience in a performing arts environment preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of opera repertoire a plus.
The position is part-time, non-exempt, averaging 20-25 hours per week. Regular business hours are Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work with seasonal high-volume periods. Administrative work is currently hybrid/remote, as BLO staff continue to adapt to COVID-19 precautions. Regular onsite work is required for BLO performances and events in Boston and across the greater Boston area (both during the week and/or on weekends). Ideal candidates for this role will live in the greater Boston Area.
The salary for this position is based on a candidate’s experience and skills, starting at $22/hr.