Marketing & Communications Director
Classic Stage Company
136 East 13th Street
Classic Stage Company (CSC) seeks a Marketing & Communications Director to lead the creative development and implementation of organization’s marketing strategy. The Marketing & Communications Director will be responsible for determining when, what, and how CSC communicates to our current audience and the general public. This position will be hands on in content creation for print, digital, and street level marketing with the goal of increasing awareness of CSC, our productions, and our programs for new audiences.
CSC is a 55-year-old award-winning Off-Broadway theater company whose mission is to challenge the traditional perception of classic work by exploring and reimagining great stories across the world’s repertoire that illuminate our common humanity. Producing as many as four mainstage productions per season, CSC is a $4M organization that services an audience of more than 20,000 patrons per year. Situated on East 13th Street, CSC operates out of a unique and intimate venue of 196 seats where no one sits more than 20 feet from the stage. In addition to our productions, CSC is active throughout the year with creative development, audience engagement, and educational programs.
Our ideal Marketing & Communications Director is a creative, savvy, and enthusiastic performing arts administrator who is equally excited about membership strategy as they are about designing social media posts. They have the know-how to think big but can also execute the details. They love theater and love to inspire people to attend and engage with theater.
This position reports directly to the Managing Director and works closely with the Producing Artistic Director and incoming creative teams. They supervise Box Office staff, as well as external vendors including press agents, advertising agencies, and key art designers as needed.
• Lead membership, ticketing, and pricing strategies to both build audiences and increase earned revenue.
• Oversee the company’s content calendar to ensure streamlined and effective messaging to all constituencies.
• Direct and execute all aspects of digital marketing communications including website, email newsletters, and social media platforms.
• Conceptualize the development of print and digital promotional materials, directing external graphic designers as needed.
• Hire and manage the Box Office staff.
• Support outreach efforts to increase the diversity of our audiences.
• Support audience engagement efforts including post-show conversations and our CSC podcast.
• Manage a data-driven advertising strategy in consultation with external agencies as needed.
• Oversee public relations in collaboration with an external press agency.
• Support communication efforts across all departments of CSC including development, artistic, and education.
• Maintain the brand guidelines and voice that are consistent with CSCs mission.
• 5 years of experience in marketing and communications; experience working in nonprofit arts is a plus.
• Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills.
• Strong graphic design eye with the ability to manipulate key art for emails and social media.
• A facility with social media including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.
• Demonstrated experience with SEO and other key performance indicators to best leverage our advertising dollars.
• Awareness and embrace of content accessibility for people with disabilities by implementing captioning, alt text, image descriptions, and other accessibility features across all digital media.
• A working knowledge of the NYC theater world.
• Experience with the following software: Microsoft Office, ticketing/CRM software, Square Space (or similar CMS platform), a graphics manipulation software like Canva, Photoshop or InDesign, and MailChimp (or similar email communications platform).
This is an exempt, full time position, and additional hours will be required based on production schedule, including evenings and weekends. Annual salary of $80,000 plus health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and access to 401k plan.