Mandarin/English Bilingual Part-time Docent - Language Access Program
Lewis Latimer House Museum
3441 137th Street
Flushing, NY 11354
The Lewis Latimer House Museum (LLHM) seeks a talented and responsible Mandarin-speaking docent.
A New York City landmark, the historic house of African American inventor, humanist, and son of fugitive slaves Lewis Latimer, the Lewis Latimer House Museum calls attention to Latimer’s and other People of Color’s contributions to science, technology, arts, poetry, and American life, through innovative tours, exhibits, public and S.T.E.A.M. educational programs in the above areas. Visit lewislatimerhouse.org.
LLHM seeks to deepen its engagement with the Chinese speaking community of Flushing, Queens through strengthening a Bilingual interpretation program. The ideal candidate is passionate about museum interpretation and audience engagement. The part-time docent will be responsible for leading guided tours at the Museum on Sundays in both English and Mandarin. This position will work closely with the Education Associate in developing marketing materials, strategizing and implementing community outreach initiatives, as well as tracking and evaluating multilingual visitor data and feedback.
• Give guided tours in Mandarin and English
• Open and close the museum on Sundays
• Refine tour script and interpretive materials
• Work with the Education associate on bilingual marketing materials and outreach strategies and implementation
• Support museum staff in other initiatives related to engaging the Mandarin-speaking community in Flushing as needed
The contracted position would start in January 2020 and end on June 28 2020. Specifically, 6 hours on Sunday (from 10:30 to 4:30 pm on Sundays in December-February, 11:30am-5:30pm on Sundays in March-November), and 4 hours on a weekday.
Job Type: Part-time temporary.
Salary: $20 per hour for approximately 10 hours per week.
• Fluency in Mandarin and English is required
• Clear, effective, and engaging communication skills in speaking and writing
• Being personable, responsible, and possessing strong attention to detail are highly desired
• Interest in history or the museum field
• Experience in museum interpretation, audience engagement, or customer service is a plus but not necessary.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter outlining how your background and experiences fit the position, a resume with two-three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.