Mandarin/English Bilingual Liaison for Programs, Full Time
Lewis Latimer House Museum
3441 137th Street
Flushing, NY 11354
Lewis Latimer House Museum
Mandarin/English Bilingual Liaison for Programs, Full-Time Position
The Lewis Latimer House Museum (LLHM) seeks a talented, responsible, and motivated Mandarin-speaking Bilingual Liaison for Programs.
A New York City landmark, the historic house of African American inventor, humanist, and son of fugitive slaves Lewis Latimer, the Lewis Latimer House Museum calls attention to Latimer’s and other People of Color’s contributions to science, technology, arts, poetry, and American life, through multilingual tours, exhibits, public and S.T.E.A.M. educational programs in the above areas. Visit lewislatimerhouse.org.
LLHM seeks to deepen its engagement with the Chinese speaking community of Flushing, Queens by strengthening bilingual historic interpretation and cross-cultural programming. The ideal candidate is passionate about museum interpretation, audience engagement, cultural and educational programs. The Bilingual Liaison for Programs will be responsible for leading guided tours at the Museum, and assist with all other educational and cultural programs. This position will work closely with the rest of the team – Executive Director and Education Associate, in developing marketing materials, strategizing and implementing community outreach initiatives, as well as tracking and evaluating audience participation. LLHM is an organization by and for Communities of Color, and it strives for a culture that supports the professional growth of its staff.
• Assist the Executive Director and Education Associate with the planning, promotion, execution, and evaluation of all programs at the museum, including K-12 STEAM educational programs and cultural events for the general public around the themes of race and immigration in connection to Lewis Latimer’s legacy
• Provide on-demand guided tours in Mandarin and English to visitors
• Open and close the museum during open hours, currently 11am-5pm on Fridays and Saturdays
• Refine tour script and interpretive materials
• Support the museum in outreach initiatives to engage the Mandarin-speaking community in Flushing as needed
• Fluency in Mandarin and English is required
• Must be able to work during the weekend
• Clear, effective, and engaging communication skills in speaking and writing
• Being personable, responsible, and possessing strong attention to detail are highly desired
• Tech savvy - mastery of Microsoft Office Suite, familiarity with Mailchimp and Eventbrite
• Skills in digital marketing and design are a plus
• Passion in public programs and cultural engagement, interest in history or the museum field
Job Type: Full time non-exempt position starting in June 2021
Salary: $40k~$46k with vacation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter outlining how your background and experiences fit the position, and a resume with two-three references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.