Major Gifts Officer
The Broad Stage
Santa Monica, CA 90401
The Broad Stage seeks an innovative fundraiser for the new role of Major Gifts Officer. This development professional will have the interpersonal communication and strategic thinking skills to guide the organization’s gift strategy, research, and cultivation.
Who is The Broad Stage?
The Broad Stage gathers artists, thinkers, and audiences to celebrate our shared humanity and expand the role the arts play in the vitality of our diverse community. - The Broad Stage Mission Statement
What will you Do?
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer will join a team of four rigorous development professionals, including the Individual Giving Officer, Membership, Special Events Officer, and Institutional Giving Officer. This is a new position at The Broad Stage and as such, the early focus will be on prospect identification and cultivation, toward building a strong and mature portfolio. The Major Gifts Officer will be primarily responsible for building a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give $10,000+ annually; qualifying new major gift prospects to determine their likelihood of giving; cultivating and soliciting major gifts, and stewarding major gifts’ donors. Along with the rest of the department, the Major Gifts Officer shares the responsibility of reaching an ambitious departmental financial goal, comprising both annual and multi-year gift commitments.
Areas of Accountability
Donor Research and Cultivation
● Maintain frequent, effective correspondence, phone contact, and a high volume of personal visits (in alignment with current COVID protocols) with major donors and prospects.
● Conduct ongoing data-driven research, utilizing Patron Manager and Salesforce programs to maintain the prospective donor pool and develop cultivation strategies for major gifts and planned giving.
● Assist with scaling and preparing the organization for large-scale capital campaigns and/or multi-year campaigns.
● Attend external functions including performances, member events, and fundraising events for The Broad Stage to interact with donors, and represent The Broad Stage and/or the Development department at meetings, conferences, and other functions as necessary.
● Conduct wealth screenings to identify prospective donors.
● Establish and cultivate relationships with prospective donors.
Leadership and Strategy
● Develop solicitation plans for each donor in the major gifts portfolio in collaboration with other development staff and leadership.
● Implement moves management strategies to grow the major gifts portfolio each year.
● Partner with the Director of Development to develop a planned giving program.
● Engage in strategic planning meetings with staff and board members.
● Support the Director of Development, the Chief Operations Officer, and the Artistic and Executive Director in their gift cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
● Assist leadership and the Director of Development in evaluating and preparing for campaign readiness.
● Collaborate and work effectively with all departments to secure appropriate project information for donor engagement.
● Utilize the donor database to build solicitation plans, track progress, and record donor communications.
Who Are We Looking For?
The Major Gifts Officer is an innovative expert in moves management and donor research. The ideal candidate will be a skilled interpersonal communicator with a curiosity and love of people and their passions. As a front facing representative for the organization, public speaking is a key competency for the role. The next Major Gifts Officer will have experience soliciting and securing gifts of $10,000+ and an interest in interdisciplinary performing arts. Additional areas of expertise will include implementing policies and plans to further goals of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
● Donor Research and Cultivation
● Donor Relations
● Moves Management
● Background in Interdisciplinary Performing Arts
● Experience with EDI and Anti-Racism Work
● Fundraising Tactics (Data-Driven Research; Patron Manager/Salesforce)
● Interpersonal Communication
● Experience with Hard Asks for Large Gifts
● Public Speaking
● Active Listening
How much are we paying and what are the perks?
Salary: $95 - $105K/year.
Full-time, exempt. Some weekend and evening commitments and travel within Southern California are required.
Benefits Package: Matching 401K plan and health insurance. PTO for holidays, vacation, personal days and sick leave. Hybrid on-site/work from home workplace.