Keyholder Residency Program
Lower East Side Printshop
306 West 37th Street, 6th floor
New York, NY 10018
NEXT DEADLINE: September 1, 2023 11:59 PM EST
FOR RESIDENCIES BEGINNING OCTOBER 1, 2023
The Keyholder Residency Program offers emerging artists free 24-hour access to printmaking facilities to develop new work and foster their artistic careers. Residencies are free and one year long, starting on April 1st and October 1st each year, and they take place in the shared Artists’ Studio, including the solvent/etching area and the darkroom.
Keyholders work independently, in a productive atmosphere alongside other contemporary artists. Artists from all disciplines are eligible to apply; printmaking skills are not required, but some familiarity with the medium is recommended. Basic instruction in printmaking techniques is available for new Keyholders. Technical assistance is not included in the program, but is available at additional cost.
Participation is competitive. Applications are evaluated by a rotating committee of artists, critics, curators, and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork. A total of 8 artists are awarded the residency annually. Artists based in the New York City area and without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
Keyholder Residency includes -
-24-hour shared studio access
-basic supplies (newsprint, blotters, solvents, cleaners)
-consultations with Master Printers
-free career development workshops
-inclusion in the Printshop’s permanent collection
-opportunities to show new work in exhibitions and other public events presented by the Printshop
- Only current US residents may apply. (Social Security Number is required.)
- Students enrolled in any kind of degree program at the time of the residency are not eligible.
- Keyholder Residencies are limited to emerging artists only. The Printshop defines emerging artists as under-recognized and under-represented artists at early stages in their careers.
- Artists without access to a studio space are encouraged to apply.
- Past recipients of the Keyholder Residency are not eligible.
- Artist duos or teams are not eligible; residencies are awarded per artist.
- Artist must reside in the New York metro area during the year of residency.