Houston Center for Contemporary Craft 2021 ARTIST RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
Houston, TX 77002
The Houston Center for Contemporary Craft is inviting applications for its Artist Residency Program. The program supports emerging, mid-career, and established artists working in clay, fiber, glass, metal, wood, and mixed media. Through the residency, museum visitors have the unique opportunity to visit the artists’ studios and watch the artists at work; in turn, artists receive a unique opportunity to gain exposure, make connections with the community in Houston, and help educate the public about craft.
Applicants must be able to fulfill a program requirement of working in their studios for two days per week during HCCC public hours. All resident artists are required to open their studios to public interaction on Saturdays and one other day of the week (TBD), as well as during exhibition openings and specific educational programs on the evenings and weekends. Applicants should consider the public-facing nature of the residencies and the fact that a major goal of the program is to provide visitors with an opportunity to explore contemporary craft through engaging with working artists.
Benefits of the residency include 24/7 access to studio space, cultural and professional development opportunities, a monthly stipend that includes a small housing/materials allowance, and the opportunity to give an artist talk.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, public hours are currently Thursday – Saturday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM. By this fall, public hours are expected to be Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Juried selection is based on quality of creative work, ability to interact with the public, career direction, and program diversity. Accepted artists will be notified via e-mail in April.
- Five-to-10 residencies awarded
- Residencies available in three-, six-, nine-, and 12-month time periods
- Residency cycle begins in September and ends in August
- Residency start dates and length determined by program review panel
- $1000 monthly stipend that includes a housing/materials allowance
- 24/7 access to 200-square-foot studio equipped with sinks, telephones, and wireless Internet access
- Ceramic artists have access to an octagonal electric kiln located in an outdoor kiln shed.
- Wide variety of resources and opportunities, including teaching opportunities through HCCC and collaborative works with fellow residents
- Ongoing professional development and enrichment opportunities with local museums, art professionals, and collectors
- During the residency, artists have the opportunity to participate in a joint artist talk and display work outside their studios in collaboration with the Windgate Foundation Curatorial Fellow.
- Upon completion of the residency, artists have the opportunity to show work in the annual In Residence exhibition at HCCC.
- Additional opportunities, such as discussions with curators and gallery owners, exposure at HCCC events, and interactions with visiting art professionals
All applicants must provide the following information when completing the online application:
- Artist Statement: In one page or less, describe your creative work, process, technique, and conceptual development. Tie your statement to a specific process or work that is depicted in your images.
- Resume: Three pages or less.
- Three References: Provide contact information for three references. References will be contacted in the final stages of the interview process.
- Images of 10 Works Created within the Last Two Years: Upload one wide shot and one detail for each of 10 pieces, for a total number of 20 images.
- International Applicants: International applicants must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.— green card or appropriate visa—with application.
Apply via the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft Slideroom page
For technical assistance with the online application process, please e-mail email@example.com, Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM CST.
For questions regarding the application requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.