Financial Operations Lead
Full time / $70,000 annually / ArtsPool / Brooklyn, NY
ArtsPool is an organization that is passionate about providing affordable financial management, workforce administration, and compliance support to nonprofit arts organizations. Their mission is to provide excellence in these support areas so arts organizations can focus on what they do best: create! They are looking for a skilled Financial Operations professional to join our Financial Operations Team to support a growing client list of nonprofit organizations.
Financial Operations Lead Responsibilities
The Financial Operations Team provides general bookkeeping support to nonprofit organizations that are members of the ArtsPool cooperative.
As a Financial Operations Lead, you will hold 5-7 client relationships. You will collaborate with clients and other ArtsPool team members to reconcile bank accounts, monitor cash balances, perform accounts payable and receivables activities and other bookkeeping assignments, including:
- Post all transactions into the books on at least a weekly basis using Xero. Requesting, as necessary, coding and documentation from members for income and expense transactions
- Import transactions from online bank accounts and third-party processors (Square, PayPal, Stripe, etc)
- Reconcile monthly, all bank accounts including credit cards, and third-party processors
- Perform month-end close tasks in collaboration with the Financial Maintenance Team for budgeting purposes
- Maintain accounts payable, including: contractor management, including W9 requests and payment preferences; processing recurring bills and member payables requests; obtaining member approvals for payment of bills and process payments via check, ACH, or vendor payment portals
- Maintain accounts receivable, including: processing recurring invoices and member receivable requests; entering grants funding invoices, in coordination with the Financial Maintenance Team
- Record and reconcile petty cash and expense advance transactions with correct coding and documentation
- Perform year-end close tasks and provide support to the Financial Maintenance Team in preparation for annual independent audits and tax filings
- Process contracts through DocuSign
- Make journal entries as needed
- Maintain the Chart of Accounts
- Update Financial Operations reference documents with member context and internal processes as they evolve
- Participate as requested, in Financial Operations training for new ArtsPool staff
- Adhere to quality control responsibilities and standards as determined by the Financial Operations Team
In connection with the duties above, you will work closely with your service delivery team to clearly communicate financial information to member staff, helping all members comprehend the workflow of their financial data.
ArtsPool is committed to sharing a set of responsibilities among all team members to ensure excellence in running their operations and alignment with their values.
- Support ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and commit to contributing to an environment that treats everyone with dignity and respect. See: https://artspool.co/values/
- Act as a back-up for Financial Operations Team members and provide training for new ArtsPool staff.
- Contribute to the organizational decision-making process and improvement of ArtsPool systems, services, and processes.
- Adhere to ArtsPool’s work processes and procedures including systems use, style guides, communications guide, document organization and retention, security policies, and other operational and corporate policies and procedures.
Compensation and location
As part of ArtsPool’s commitment to pay equity, starting compensation for this and all full-time positions is $70,000 annually, with health and dental benefits and a 401(k) benefit plan (a financial advisor is available for consultation). They also offer generous paid time off of 18 vacation days per calendar year, plus 18 federal/regional/religious holidays (including Eid, Juneteenth, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Lunar New Year, Diwali), and paid sick leave per NYC’s Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law. ArtsPool is currently an open-location workplace with an office in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. You are free to work remotely and may be asked to join in-person team meetings from time to time.
- Experience with bookkeeping is strongly preferred. Experience converting between bookkeeping systems is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and handle 5-7 medium to large members (clients) with diverse needs and personalities, ranging from small artist-run companies to mid-sized institutions. Experience working within nonprofit and/or arts organizations is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in complex, high-volume environments while prioritizing and meeting the required deadlines.
- Independent self-motivated problem solver who can work within a team to develop and implement system improvements.
- Facility with reading and maintaining spreadsheets is strongly preferred.
- Facility with web-based finance systems (Bill.com, Divvy, Melio, Xero Accounting, Quickbooks) and productivity software (Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, etc) is strongly preferred.
- Administration and customer service experience is a plus.