Hood Museum of Art
6 E Wheelock St
Hanover, NH 03755
The Exhibitions Designer leads design planning for the Museum’s exhibitions program and permanent collection displays in keeping with the Hood goals for its physical and visual identity.
- Responsible for creatively designing the visual and physical environments of the Hood’s galleries, in consideration of visitor experience goals, DEAI objectives, curatorial content, and the wellbeing of the artworks, and promoting the Hood’s identity.
- Develops designs for all museum exhibitions, installations, and object- and media-based displays in consultation with the Head of Exhibitions, other key museum staff, and external contractors, as appropriate. This includes developing drawings and/or scale models, using computer programs, and other design tools to effectively communicate design ideas, suggesting wall colors, exhibition layout, materials selection, case designs, media elements, and lighting.
● Associate’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience in museum exhibition planning and design, or equivalent combination of education and experience
● Proficiency with design software, such as Sketch Up and the Adobe Creative Suite
● Demonstrated leadership in the methods and practices of art museum exhibition installation.
● Proven ability to be an individual contributor and pro-actively participate in a team-based environment.
● Proficiency with standard office editing and scheduling platforms: Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook.
● Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of visitors; familiarity and interest in ADA-compliant practices.
● Bachelor’s degree and 6 or more years’ experience in museum exhibition planning and design, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Advanced knowledge of design software, including Sketch Up and the Adobe Creative Suite
● Understanding of framing and casework design, gallery lighting, object handling and conservation considerations.
● Experience designing exhibitions that include time-based media work and the systems and hardware that support them.
Hiring Range Minimum $55,400
Hiring Range Maximum $69,300