DarkFest and TrashFest Submissions
New York, NY 10018
Calling artists of every discipline: The Tank is seeking submissions for its sixth annual DarkFest: August 1-7, 2022
Please submit by June 30th, 2022.
This year brings the return of both of The Tank’s eco-forward festivals performed Live: Trash Fest and Dark Fest! For years, The Tank has hosted DarkFest - a week of shows that does not use conventional theatrical lighting in an effort to re-examine how we can make theater more sustainable. With the pandemic forcing our physical theater to close, we challenged that idea further with TrashFest. It is often difficult to wrestle with the environmental impact our daily lives and our work can have - especially in theater, where so many resources are needed to develop sets, props, and costumes that are only used for a short amount of time. Trash Fest centers work that not only produces no waste, but reuses materials discarded as garbage while Dark Fest celebrates innovative performance that utilizes self-sufficient and alternative energy sources.
Pieces will be performed Live in our 56-seat theater.
Pieces can be 10-90 minutes – shorter pieces will appear on programs together.
Proposals can be for showings of work at any stage of development, from a reading or work-in-progress to a fully staged show.
To submit, please send:
- A brief description of your piece
- Any development history (fine if it’s brand-new!)
- Your bios or resumes and the names of any collaborators already on board
- A sample of work that will give us a sense of what it is you’re trying to make and that you know how to make it (this can be a script if you have one, a video, a song, whatever!)
- A brief summary of your artistic goals for your time at The Tank
- A short explanation of how the piece exists in the world (ie, art exhibit, soundscape, in-person performance, digital hybrid, etc.)
- The length of your piece
- Any tech requirements
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “DARK/TRASH FEST SUBMISSIONS”. Deadline is June 30th, 2022.