Community Education Assistant
820 E. Genesee St
Astoria, NY 13209
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND EDUCATION COORDINATOR
Syracuse Stage, the professional theatre in residence at Syracuse University, is accepting applications for a Community Engagement and Education Coordinator.
Syracuse Stage is committed to anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, on and offstage, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented groups and those who share these values and have demonstrable experience advocating for anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Syracuse Stage’s Education department works with 20,000 students yearly in diverse communities through Syracuse and Central New York. Community engagement offers monthly events, artist residencies and partnerships with local organizations and schools, focusing on building Stage’s relationships with Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and New-American organizations. The position reports to the Director of Community Engagement and Education, Joann Yarrow, and works closely with the Associate Director of Education, Kate Laissle. This is a full time position providing administrative structure and programing support to the department.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and expectations outlined below are representative, not exhaustive. These may shift with organizational needs.
● Books and coordinates outreach education programs, such as Children’s Tour and Backstory
● Coordinates logistics for Classes and Summer programs
● Supports Syracuse Stories – including scheduling and audience engagement
● Research and design study guides for mainstage and education productions.
Administration and Communication
• Create and update calendars for programs within the department. Schedule meetings and manage notes. Maintain and organize databases of schools, community partners and individual projects.
● In collaboration with the marketing department, prioritize and manage all social media tools including education channels, patron lists, and company websites.
● Serve as representative of the Community Engagement and Education department to the Production Department.
● Clear understanding of—and passionate commitment to—theatre and theatre education opportunities for all
● An understanding of actively dismantling the systems of racism and oppression, both in principal and practice. The ability to interact authentically with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on building and maintaining meaningful and reciprocal relationships.
● The ability to communicate effectively across multiple mediums. Excellent verbal and written communication skills – excited to “cold call” schools and talk about our programs
● Employ high attention to detail to take initiative and independently prioritize, track, and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fluid theatre environment
● The ability to efficiently manage time, effort and decision-making skills across various programs and departmental operations
● Theatre management or stage management experience a plus
● Experience with InDesign or similar software a plus
● “Be curious, not judgmental” – The ability to question the status quo and engagement in solution driven thinking
Position Dates and Salary Information:
Position is year-round full-time, non-exempt salary starting at $34,000 year. This position’s daily hours may fluctuate due to project schedules, but overall hours and boundaries align with work/life balance. Employee will be subject to abide by all Covid rules set forth by the State, University, and Actors Union. Position is currently remote however once Covid restrictions are lifted this position will be back in the office full-time.
Please complete our online submission form located here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IKGMaMY2Avj55fPzUQFWwAIgWzo9wMXjBf37mS18Dic/edit
Please include a resume and a statement about your experiences with arts education and community engagement. We ask for a resume in written form, but we invite applicants to share their statement in whatever manner best supports their skill set, be it in written, audio, or video format.
If you have any issues with submitting via the google form, please submit materials to HR@SyracuseStage.org
Every application will be reviewed by the Director of Community Engagement and Education as well as the Associate Director of Education. Applicants will then be selected for interviews. First round interviews will occur on a rolling basis and will be conducted either via phone or zoom.
Final interviews will include additional members of the Stage team. An offer is expected by end of May.