SCAPE Landscape Architecture
277 Broadway Ninth Floor
New York, NY 10007
Full time / SCAPE / New York, New Orleans, or San Francisco / $65,000 - $85,000 annually
SCAPE is a landscape architecture and urban design practice headquartered in New York with offices in New Orleans and San Francisco. They design and advocate for the ecologically restorative and socially engaged landscapes, urban environments, and nature-based infrastructure of the future.
SCAPE’s staff of over 75 individuals includes landscape architects, urban planners, architects, ecological designers, horticulturists, and community engagement professionals. Critical to their work is communicating about the power of design and the transformative potential of landscape, which is expressed not only in their built work portfolio but in publications, exhibitions, national press, and social media.
The studio is looking for a Communications Coordinator to help translate SCAPE’s ethos and approach to a larger social, cultural, and political audience. A successful candidate will have creative storytelling, media, and narrative skills, and familiarity with (or interest in) interacting with a wide range of press events, materials, lectures, and public-facing requests. The individual would work directly on strategic communications with Founder Kate Orff and the Principal Team at SCAPE and be a key part of the Business Development$65,000 - $85,000 and Marketing Team, working closely with allied professionals in the office. A successful candidate works well in a team environment, bringing a creative, imaginative, positive, problem-solving attitude and excitement about reaching new audiences.
SCAPE is seeking a candidate with a minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a communications or marketing capacity in the design or environmental fields. This candidate is highly organized; has strong writing and copy-editing skills; and can translate key design themes into narrative and social media content. Necessary software skills include the Adobe software suite, with video editing and website editing skills a plus.
This role can be based in any of SCAPE’s three studios – New York, New Orleans, or San Francisco, with preference in NYC. The role is in-person with some flexibility to work from home in alignment with company policy. This position could be for a more Senior role or Junior role depending upon experience and fit. The salary range is $65,000 - $85,000 and commensurate with experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher;
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a communications and/or marketing team in the design field or a related discipline;
- Excellent writing skills, with a strong attention to detail and understanding of audience and context;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)—specifically the formatting of print/digital materials, with an eye for graphic design;
- Experience leading digital media content creation, including the production of compelling social media and website content (i.e., Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and WordPress), especially narrative/interactive content;
- Familiarity with press and media practices for general and industry-specific media, including press releases, publication calendars, and relationship building with editors and beat reporters;
- General knowledge and interest in the design field, including landscape architecture, urban planning/design, architecture, engineering, and related disciplines (i.e., real estate and economic development);
- Excellent organizational and time management skills—especially the ability to balance near-term (“high tide”) tasks requiring action with longer-term (“low tide”) initiatives requiring consistent follow-up;
- Strong relationship management skills, including the ability to “manage up” and facilitate a streamlined production process amid busy schedules.
Though not required, the ideal candidate may also possess:
- Digital photography/videography skills and an eye for visual composition;
- Experience researching and writing project narratives;
- Additional Adobe software skills (i.e. Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.), especially photo/video editing;
- Basic graphic design skills (i.e., the ability to compose simple diagrams such as site maps, organizational charts, and graphic schedules).
Apply via the application portal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until July 21st at 6 PM EST.
You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, but please review application instructions in detail before reaching out.
Please upload, as separate PDFs, a cover letter, resume, and work sample (under 10 MB). Please limit work samples to 10 pages maximum. Acceptable examples of work include relevant written content, press releases, social media posts, graphic layout work, project cutsheets, proposals, and/or other relevant print/digital media.