TAC Artist In Residency Manager
Textile Arts Center
505 Carroll St.
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Textile Arts Center seeks an experienced Artist in Residency Manager who will play a key role in implementing and supporting a range of opportunities for artists at TAC, including the Artist in Residence (TAC AIR) residency program.
Schedule: 25 hours per week, Monday and Thursday evenings hours required; with occasional weekend hours.
As the AIR Manager, you’ll work collaboratively with TAC’s Executive Director, Director of Operations, Studio Manager, and Marketing Coordinator to support essential activities related to the AIR Program.
The AIR Manager will be thoroughly committed to TAC’s mission and have a passion for working in a creative, community oriented arts environment. All candidates should have proven experience working with artists and knowledge of contemporary arts and cultural sector, with an emphasis in fiber/textiles medium.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Artists in Residence (AIR)
- Organize and oversee annual call for artists and selection process, including organizing and leading internal and external selection committee meetings and communicating with the artists
- Manage artists from selection to completion of their residency, including pre-residency planning, contracts, orientation, studio setup, etc.
- Create and implement curriculum (i.e. schedule classes and critiques)
- Organize and moderate weekly meetings and critiques
- Manage Artists in Residence calendar
- Hire and communicate with faculty, guest critics and mentors
- Manage Artist In Residence budget
- Organize and curate annual final exhibition, including coordinating install/deinstall, creating press release, online exhibition and promotional materials
- Organize and coordinate artist participation in public and educational programming (i.e. Open Studios, Lectures)
- Work with Executive Director to implement Fundraising actions (i.e. silent auctions)
Marketing & Communications
- Work closely with the Marketing Team in documenting and promoting artist participation in the AIR residency and public programming
- Update and maintain website content for all Artist Programs
Knowledge, Skills, & Qualifications:
- You have at least 5 years experience in Arts Administration, preferably leading an Artist in Residence program; or equivalent experience
- You have demonstrated knowledge of textile history, techniques and contemporary textile art
- You know how to communicate effectively – whether that’s in writing or in person.
- You have solid organizational skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail.
- You are a strategic thinking with creative problem-solving skills
- You are a self-starter. You are comfortable working independently and within a team setting.
- You’re able to meet deadlines and work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced work environment, often on time-sensitive projects.
- You’re flexible and adaptable. We move quickly at TAC and we need solutions-oriented problem-solvers to help move our work forward.
- You have a passion for inclusion and advocacy in the arts
- You are proficient in Google Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, Mailchimp, Zoom and Social Media platforms (Instagram, Eventbrite)
- You are passionate about the mission of TAC and thrive in a diverse working environment.
- You have previous curatorial and/or fundraising experience