Public Engagement Manager
17 Water Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Contracted paid full-time position
- Start Date: February 21, 2022
- Term: 12 months (extended term will be negotiated in good faith and is highly likely)
ABOUT THE ROLE
Photoville is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with proven experience and strengths in public programming, education, community outreach and communications. Reporting to the Creative Director and Executive Director, and managing both internal and contracted project staff, the Public Engagement Manager should be able to work independently and be excited to bring new ideas to the table while continuing to spearhead initiatives already put in place with the highest level of professional conduct, practice, and friendly collaboration.
WORKING HOURS & WORK LOCATIONS
Normal working hours are between 10am – 6pm Monday – Friday
Some projects may demand commitments outside this time frame to meet deadlines and will be agreed upon on a case by case basis.
At this moment, working from the Photoville Office in DUMBO, Brooklyn is required at least 1 day a week (and more, if required by a project timeline and needs), and when not in office, remote working is accepted and encouraged. During the festival period and based on the COVID-19 situation, working location and hours may change and be negotiated upon good faith.
When working remotely, the Public Engagement Manager will need to be working normal business hours and be engaged, punctual and responsive to emails, instant messaging, phone calls and meetings that are required to meet the goals of the projects and organization. We strongly encourage a good work/life balance and use the “Schedule Send” function when timing emails with our colleagues.
All of the above is subject to change and based on negotiation upon good faith.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate with experience and will be negotiated in good faith. (Approx. $55,000 a year.)
- 2 weeks paid vacation time (dates to be agreed upon in writing by the Photoville leadership at least 1 month in advance and employee will make best efforts not to arrange time off that conflict with major project deadlines)
- 5 paid sick days to be accrued
- 5 personal days to be accrued (dates to be agreed upon in writing by the Photoville leadership at least 1 month in advance and employee will make best efforts not to arrange time off that conflict with major project deadlines)
- Major Public Holidays off (unless working on an installation or event and then comp time will be offered)
- 7 paid days off between Christmas and New Year’s day.
- Opportunity to partake in at least 2 professional development events / conferences within work hours and pending approval re: budget and dates
- Photoville currently does not offer Health Benefits at this time, however it is a benefit we are working on adding in the near future and can provide a $2,000 signing bonus on top of the negotiated salary.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
EDUCATION (approx 60% of your time – it will fluctuate depending on deadlines)
Conceptualize, execute and refine the various initiatives of our education program:
-Festival Education Programming that includes resources, field trips and educator social events.
-Student Field Trips throughout the year connecting young people with artists
-Fall Professional Development Day for Educators
Strategize, Produce and/or manage education components that accompany Photoville exhibitions such as toolkits, lesson plans, videos and public signage in collaboration with a team
Manage timelines and deliverables for all education programs
Manage and work with freelance education team members that include curriculum designers, educator docents, and education assistants.
PUBLIC PROGRAMS (approx 20% of your time – it will fluctuate depending on deadlines)
- Brainstorm and help spearhead public programs year-round and during the Festival
- Help Photoville’s Production and exhibitions team in making programs a reality if available and not working on education programs.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH (approx 15% of your time – it will fluctuate depending on deadlines)
- Attending various community gatherings as a representative of Photoville to learn more about what is happening in surrounding neighborhoods and communities
- Create and cultivate new relationships with Education & Community Partners and maintain existing ones
- Stay informed and build connections with grassroots orgs and artists who may want to work with Photoville on a project.
- Participate in community groups that are connected to our projects
- Represent Photoville in in the Visual Arts Community Spaces when needed and where appropriate
COMMUNICATIONS (approx 5% of your time – it will fluctuate depending on deadlines)
- Strategize press and marketing initiatives and opportunities for Education, Public Programs and Community Initiatives
- Work with leadership on the Eblast Newsletters, drafting content and scheduling for public programs.
IDEAL REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- High degree of organizational skill with ability to handle multiple projects in various stages of development.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage time, juggle multiple duties and tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, effective and professional negotiating skills, strong interpersonal skills, discretion and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated initiative and administrative ability as required to work and understand the organization’s goals in formulating and implementing an ambitious program of public events and initiatives
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude in a dynamic, fast-paced, and creative setting. Exceptional judgment, professionalism, and discretion in handling sensitive situations and matters.
- Committed to abide to Organization handbook that includes adhering to Organization’s Covid -19 protocols
- Tech-savvy with fluency in the Mac computer platform as well as Google Suite, Asana, Airtable and Slack a crucial plus
- Must be fine working in a dog friendly office
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest that outlines the way your skills and experience align with our values and goals along with your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Public Engagement Manager. This is a role we need to fill as soon as possible.
Photoville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.