The Wilma Theater
265 S Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The Wilma Theater is seeking a Production Manager.
The Wilma Theater creates living, adventurous art, presenting bold, original, well-crafted, thought-provoking productions that represent a range of voices, viewpoints, and styles. Our FY22 operating budget is $4.2M, with a production budget averaging $1.5M annually.
The Wilma’s organizational values were developed through conversations with Wilma staff, board, and HotHouse Company members. Our organizational values are curiosity, courage, care, rigor, joy, collaboration, and liberation.
The Production Manager will contribute meaningfully to the organizational culture of the Wilma and will advocate to advance our values on an organizational, local, and national scale. This person will take part in cross-departmental work, company-wide EDI work and anti-bias training as we further our commitment to being an inclusive, anti-racist organization.
The Production Manager reports jointly to the Artistic Director and Managing Director and has primary responsibility for the budgeting, contracting and execution of all aspects of theatrical production, including scenery, lights, costumes, props, sound, and multi-media. Ability to work nights and weekends is necessary.
- Oversee scheduling, staffing and budgeting all aspects of show production
- Oversee, monitor, and evaluate design process of all shows
- Work with designers to creatively solve all technical challenges
- Realize designs on time and on budget
- Create and Manage Production Department budget and other long-term budgets as necessary
- Administer payroll for all shows and events in coordination with the Business Office.
- Manage, monitor, and approve all production related expenses
- Reconcile budget on a monthly basis with the Business Office
- Supervise production staff
- Oversee hiring of technicians for all shows
- Evaluate and maintain all theatrical systems including: sound, light, rigging, - projection, etc.
- Oversee all technical aspects of all in house special events
- Lead production meetings and attend all staff and department heads meetings, including some Board Meetings
- Develop and maintain scene shop, and local and national production-related relationships
- Oversee and delegate company management responsibilities, including artist housing
- Actively represent the Wilma and interact with constituents during special events and gatherings
The ideal candidate is proficient in remote-work software and systems, with the ability to learn the Wilma Theater virtual applications, including Microsoft 365, Bill.com and project management and video conference tools.
Occasional to frequent lifting of light to heavy objects; full range of body motion and physical agility to meet needs of technical production management.
Frequently within the Philadelphia region and rarely outside of the Philadelphia area.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, permanent, exempt role with an annual compensation in the mid-$60,000s.
Benefits include access to a group health insurance plan (including vision) that covers 85% of the premium, a dental insurance plan, generous paid time off and paid holidays, a 403(b) retirement plan option, an employee assistance program, a parking discount, complimentary tickets to Wilma productions, and other fringe benefits.
COVID-19 Update and Work Environment
Due to Covid-19, the Wilma administrative staff is currently remote. Beginning April 1, 2022, every employee of The Wilma Theater, whose work requires their physical presence on-site at spaces managed and operated by The Wilma Theater must be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.
Some night and weekend work will be required.
Applications and Inquiries
Applications will be open until the position is filled, with the desired start of August 1, 2022
Please send a resume and letter of interest as a single PDF attachment with your name and subject line “Production Manager candidate” to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wilma Theater is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, age, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or public assistance status in the recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall and termination of employees. The Wilma is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment. Those who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other members of underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.