Producing Artisitic Director
The Coterie Theater
Kansas City, MO 64108
Full time / $85,000 - $95,000 annually / The Coterie Theater / Kansas City, MO
The Coterie Theatre seeks a collaborative and dynamic Producing Artistic Director to help usher in a vibrant new era of theatre for young audiences that builds upon The Coterie’s four decades of success and continues to reimagine what is possible onstage and within the Kansas City community.
The Producing Artistic Director (PAD) will partner with Managing Director (MD) Jonathan Thomas and the dedicated staff of The Coterie Theatre to steer the organization through a challenging time of transition into a meaningful new era of artistic and community programming.
The PAD will be heavily involved in all facets of the production process: from season planning, production budgeting, and commissioning new work and world premieres; to assembling diverse and dynamic teams to lead each production; to ensuring that Coterie production processes unfold with accountability and care; to curating meaningful interactions and events for Coterie audiences and community members. The PAD will have their pulse on the current moment and enjoy envisioning what work onstage might speak to the most pressing current events and issues. The PAD will ensure that Coterie productions include and speak to the vibrant and diverse communities within Kansas City. The PAD will nurture partnerships The Coterie already has with community groups and work to connect with others. The PAD will support education staff in the vital work they do to engage with Kansas City educators and students, providing artistic input on those programs as needed. The PAD will help realize The Coterie’s strategic plan and will embrace The Coterie’s commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, justice (EDIJ) and Anti-Racism. The PAD will join a close-knit staff and actively foster an atmosphere of respect, accountability, and transparency. The PAD will have or commit to cultivating deep relationships within the Kansas City performance art community. The PAD will work closely with and report to The Coterie’s dedicated Board of Directors (Board) in achieving these goals.
- Collaborative spirit and ability to deepen, nurture, and expand relationships with Kansas City artists, audiences, and community partners.
- Extensive experience directing and producing theatre for young audiences and a history of innovative productions.
- Background and track record of EDIJ & Anti-Racism leadership in arts institutions.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of the national theatre for young audiences networks and programs.
- Experience in theatre education and partnering with schools and educators.
- History of community learning and building relationships with community partners.
- Knowledge of Kansas City and/or willingness to take the time to really learn about the city and its communities.
- An interest in mentorship and nurturing staff and artists.
- A commitment to transparency and familiarity with organizational feedback systems.
- Keen listening skills and a knack for fostering a healthy workplace atmosphere.