Marketing & Communications Manager
Boston Lyric Opera
Boston, MA 02210
Boston Lyric Opera seeks a Marketing & Communications Manager to manage broad marketing and communications initiatives. This position handles for print and digital communications for all BLO activities, including in-person and digital productions and programs, public events, community partnerships, and broad institutional messaging. This position is responsible for managing significant processes for BLO’s external presence. This position provides supervision for the Social Media Specialist and various seasonal contractors and vendors
Areas of Responsibility
- Manage all day-to-day operations for marketing activities, including, but not limited to: project management for all BLO print, digital, and communications, collateral, and media.
- Maintain BLO’s brand through all communications, including digital and printed BLO collateral and publications, paid advertisements, and other visual assets.
- Support Director of Marketing & Sales with developing sales and promotions strategies.
- Execute company messaging and branding through email, print, web, social media, and other communications.
- Act as the primary contact and administrator for external marketing partners, coordinating team deliverables, and maintaining company vendor relationships.
- Manage editorial calendar and related meetings for content and collateral milestones and deliverables for all programs, activities, and communications.
- Provide project management for all communications, working closely with outside vendors to execute all digital and print BLO communications, including newsletters, sales emails, digital announcements, public and community programs, and other mass email and print communications.
- Manage and execute segmentation process for all print and digital communications, working closely with sales and audience development.
- Manage execution of BLO’s brand and editorial standards in company style guide across all external communications.
- Maintain production timelines for ads, direct mail, and print materials, tracking progress and coordinating with internal staff members and Graphic Designers; assist in creating in-house materials as needed.
- Track, monitor, and report on data collection and analytics for advertising, conversion benchmarks, and marketing initiatives; collaborate on strategy for conversions, website traffic, lead content generation, and calls-to-action.
- Execute invoice processing for marketing-related expenses, including all print, design, advertising, social media, and other marketing-related expenses.
- Manage email and flyer trades with arts and other partner organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A creator who thrives building a focused brand narrative through a variety of platforms.
- A curator who has an eye for compelling visuals.
- A grammar fiend who excels writing, editing, and engaging multiple points of view.
- A driven project manager who relishes the beauty of a well-organized plan.
- Passionate about art and bonus points if its opera.
- A dynamic, small team with big ambitions; we move quickly to adapt to the needs of our artists, patrons, and the world around us.
- Believers that opera can be everything and everywhere – an art form that belongs to all.
- A team unified around all areas of public engagement, taking an integrated approach to the audience experience, from community and public programming, to how we communicate and welcome diverse audiences into the theater.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a related field and/or 3-5 years of non-profit or performing arts marketing experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced, dynamic performing arts environment.
- Knowledge of opera repertoire a plus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, Prospect2, Canva, WordPress, Vimeo/VimeoOTT, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office & Dropbox; knowledge of Google Analytics, HTML, and web technologies.
- Proficiency in social media platform management including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Meta.
- Knowledge and experience with Tessitura CRM a strong plus.
- Knowledge of the print production process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Demonstrated competencies in setting goals, developing strategies and schedules to meet those goals.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, able to effectively work independently and within a team framework.