Individual Giving Associate
Manhattan Theatre Club
New York, NY 10036
Manhattan Theatre Club (MTC), a Tony Award-winning nonprofit theatre dedicated to the production of contemporary plays and musicals, seeks a full-time Individual Giving Associate to join the Development Department.
MTC produces eight plays and musicals each season, divided between one Broadway and two Off-Broadway theatres. We focus on cultivating new plays and strive to be a home for playwrights to return to throughout their careers. Offstage, our pioneering MTC Education program connects close to 3,000 students and family members with free theatre and playwriting programs each year, most of which are held in public high schools around the NYC area. MTC’s intensive Artistic Development program includes one of the largest new play commissioning initiatives in the United States.
MTC believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion should be essential elements of all activity within the organization. We are proud to be a preeminent theatre in one of the most diverse cities in America and strive to represent that both on and off-stage. We are committed to sharing stories of, and by, a wide range of voices and to doing the work required to bring in a wide range of audiences.
About the Position:
The Individual Giving Associate will serve as one of the primary contacts for MTC’s charitable donors, whose gifts comprise the bulk of the organization’s annual contributed income. This person will be a frontline fundraiser who spearheads and facilitates efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects. The Associate will also collaborate with the Individual Giving Manager to grow and strengthen MTC’s entry level giving program, “Friends of MTC,” will be Development’s designated Ticketing point person, and will help to maintain the high level of customer service delivered through MTC’s Patron Hotline and Concierge lines.
• Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects with an eye towards identifying and cultivating “Friends of MTC” who can upgrade to the Patron Program or Artistic Director’s Circle
o Ensure that appropriate moves management steps are followed in order to secure acquisitions, upgrades and renewals
• Represent MTC at special events including Patron Nights (pre- and post-show dinners)
• Greet donors/prospects at our theatres pre-show and during intermission (1-2 times per week)
Friends of MTC
• Primary point of contact for Friends, internally and externally (overseen by IG Manager)
• Monitor Friends inbox
• Assist in executing strategy to help drive Friends acquisitions, upgrades, and renewals
o Coordinate with Development Operations and Marketing Department to determine appropriate list segmentation
o Liaise with Development Communications Assistant to build WordFly emails
• Oversee Patron Hotline and MTC Concierge
• Assist with house management process, including monitoring wait list
• Act as liaison to Ticketing Services, General Management, Box Office, Institutional Giving, and Individual Giving departments, ensuring a high level of customer service for MTC Patrons
• Train new Development staff on Ticketing using MTC’s Tessitura database
o Collaborate with Ticketing Services to train new members of their staff on Patron and Friend ticketing
• In coordination with Development Operations, draft, generate and send gift acknowledgements, payment reminders, and associated communications to donors and prospects.
• Assist in the planning and execution of Individual Giving programs and events, including occasional evenings and minimal weekends (approximately two weekends per year before the Fall Benefit and Spring Gala)
• Other responsibilities as required
Desired Skills: Customer service and ticketing experience as well as familiarity with Tessitura (or similar CRM), Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Basecamp, DonorSearch (or similar wealth screening software.)
This is a full-time, in-person position at MTC’s administrative office (311 West 43rd Street, New York, NY). Some evening and occasional weekend work are required. The salary for this position is in the low to mid $40K range. MTC offers a full benefits package, including a choice health plan with options for spousal, family and/or domestic partner coverage, basic life and long term disability insurance, paid time off and optional 401(k), voluntary dental and flex savings plans for healthcare, dependent care, and commuting expenses.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume, with “Individual Giving” and your last name in the subject line, to: Director, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manhattan Theatre Club has made it a priority to create and maintain an environment that is attractive to and supportive of all individuals regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender identity, age, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, military or veteran status, etc. MTC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
For more about MTC, please visit www.manhattantheatreclub.com