Director of External Communications
Tides is a nonprofit and philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing social justice. We leverage our vast network of partners who work towards a shared purpose — to shift power to communities that face systemic barriers. Centering equity and justice in everything we do, we collaborate in deep partnership with movement leaders, nonprofits, foundations, corporations, and donors to amplify the impact of their work. We support the agency and leadership of communities of color by providing services and solutions like fiscal sponsorship, donor advised funds, capacity building, grantmaking, impact investing, and a variety of innovative solutions. Learn about our transformative services and how to partner with us at tides.org.
* Design and drive an earned and owned media and event strategy to raise the brand profile of Tides with clear goals and actionable key performance indicators
* Identify opportunities for brand positioning through thought leadership, speaking opportunities, Tides-led events, and sponsorships
* Create written messaging, talking points, brand guidelines, and style guides that enable a consistent brand voice
* Build a messenger strategy and conduct media trainings for those messengers to empower them to tell our story
* Increase the visibility of Tides’ brand by securing placements with high-impact media platforms and speaking opportunities that reach our target audiences
* Develop segment-specific points of view based on Tides’ expertise in specific issue areas
* Develop compelling written content including press releases, op-eds, impact stories, presentations, event panels, talking points and scripts
* Work with writers to shape stories and approve all final communications deliverables, ensuring brand consistency and messaging discipline
* Build strategic relationships with journalists to further Tides’ mission, leveraging partners, grantees, and influencers to reach target audiences
* Respond to media inquiries in a timely manner and represent Tides at events, conferences, speaking engagements as needed
* Own the development of sustainable systems and processes for crisis communications and responsiveness to the news cycle, in partnership with the digital team
* Serve as a guide, mentor, and manager to direct reports to develop their skill set over time
Salary: This is a full-time exempt position.
Salary range based on geo-differentials, most commonly positioned at the midpoint for a given market:
$154,600 - $231,800 = High market
$140,500 - $210,700 = Moderate market
$128,800 - $193,200 = National market
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role is based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate’s experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Important Information: Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Classification: Non-Bargaining Unit - Manager
Application deadline: July 26, 2023
- A background working in strategic communications, with experience raising a brand’s profile and developing thought leaders
- A clear understanding of how to develop communications plans with clear goals, target audiences, and messaging strategies
- Extensive knowledge of the media landscape and strong network of relationships in the social impact sector
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to create, edit, and shape compelling content
- A track record of securing strategic media placements, speaking opportunities, and events that reach target audiences
- A history of effective resource allocation, managing staffing, external vendors, and budgets to deliver work on time and within budget
- High self-awareness with the ability to work effectively with people from different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while elevating Tides’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience using media monitoring, outreach, and analytics tools to make rapid response work more efficient and effective
- Dedication to our mission to to shift power to communities that face systemic barriers