Director of Digital Communications
200 Willoughby Ave
New York, NY 11205
Be an important part of Pratt Institute’s dynamic and collaborative communications and marketing division. Take the lead on building a digital communications strategy and ecosystem that is transformative, user-centric, and outstanding among our peers.
Pratt’s Communications and Marketing division (PCOMM) is hiring a Director of Digital Communications to be a key member of Pratt’s Communications and Marketing’s leadership. In collaboration with our editorial, public relations, and creative teams, the Director of Digital Communications will build website and digital strategies that drive innovative, integrated, multi-platform, and marketing communications for internal and external audiences.
Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and Marketing, the Director of Digital Communications will be responsible for the following:
- working in collaboration with the other PCOMM directors to advance unified communication and marketing initiatives across all platforms,
- serving as senior strategic leader on all digital communications initiatives and services for the Pratt community,
- understanding the needs of our colleagues throughout the Institute, and collaborating with them to develop strategic digital communication plans for future web and digital priorities and growth,
- providing governance and strategic direction for all aspects of Pratt’s existing and emerging affiliated web and digital communications platforms, including pratt.edu, flexible web design spaces, internal dashboards, digital displays, student/faculty portfolio archives, custom web tools, and integrated aggregators and apps, in close collaboration with colleagues in information technology and data management,
- working closely with our partners in Pratt’s enrollment marketing teams for undergraduate, graduate, and continued studies to ensure Pratt.edu is in sync with, supporting, and optimized for CRM and marketing efforts to each of our specific marketing audiences,
- advising academic and administrative units to ensure all additions to the Institute’s digital communications ecosystem are interconnected and easily navigable, and follow information architecture, mobile-first, interface design, accessibility, analytics, and SEO requirements,
- developing a digital content strategy that ensure content is unified, current, accurate, search engine optimized, user tested, and is compliant with marketing, identity, accessibility, and technology best practices,
- fostering a collaborative, shared-resources communication model, in partnership with colleagues throughout the Institute and within PCOMM, to build the most effective, content rich, and dynamic digital experience for Pratt,
- reviewing web analytics and data to inform decisions and advise Institute colleagues,
- leading a digital communications team that serves campus clients from the first point of contact to development and implementation, including training for content providers and digital communication managers throughout the Institute,
- leading the digital communications team to provide ongoing development and support, for all digital communications efforts and initiatives, including content strategy, UX/UI, information architecture, development, production and resource planning,
- working with the director of creative services to ensure that Pratt’s digital communications and web presences adhere to the current branding and visual identity practices and standards of the Institute as a whole,
- reviewing and leading the selection of outside digital consultants, designers, editors and technical resources.
Salary Range: $140,000 - $145,000
The ideal candidate is a champion for collaboration and innovation with a proven history of developing and leading strategic digital communications. The candidate will be an expert in implementing successful, enterprise-level, “future-proof” web and digital technologies, ensuring positive user-experience and engagement results, informed by data and review.
The candidate must demonstrate management and leadership skills; the ability to be a bridge-builder and liaison between academic, administrative and technology departments throughout the Institute; have a strong understanding of messaging, visual identity and digital communications practices and strategies across internet, social media, and mobile technology; and demonstrate experience applying UX and UI principles. The candidate will be a strategist who loves data and using it to drive decision-making, and understanding the principles of digital marketing and customer relations management. The candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills that facilitate collaboration with colleagues at all levels and with internal and external customers. The Director must be self-motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented, and have the ability to manage and work within a budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Seven to 10 years of digital experience and management in a complex organization, such as a large corporation or university
- Extensive experience creating digital content strategies from content to post-launch management
- Extensive experience working as a member of a creative team, strategizing and designing in collaboration with others
- Demonstrated expertise applying digital marketing, UX and UI principles, including the development of tailored or personalized user experiences driven by data
- Proven success working closely with strategic communicators and administrative colleagues to develop effective and innovative user-centric, mobile-first communications solutions
- Creative and innovative project development experience, demonstrating the ability to match personal vision with institutional priorities, strategic initiatives, and practical constraints
- A self-starter who is also highly collaborative in solving practical problems and dealing with a variety of concrete variables, including managing tradeoffs between technology, user experience, and client needs
- Experience developing standards, schedules, and workflow processes to meet deadlines and client needs
- Strong communications skills with emphasis on empowering colleagues and inspiring change
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Google Workspace, Slack, Asana, a plus
- Familiarity with information architecture and taxonomy methods, including card sorts, database management, data structures and relationships, and content aggregation and syndication systems
- Familiarity with higher education communications supporting recruitment, fundraising, engagement and academic program marketing a plus