Director of Artistic Administration
1850 Farnam St.
Omaha, NE 68102
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Status: Full Time, Salaried
Reports to: General Director
Salary: Starting at $70,000 annually + benefits
WHO WE ARE + WHAT WE DO
Opera Omaha, a non-profit performing arts organization, is a growth-minded, high energy, and innovative company with a demanding mission: producing opera performances in multiple formats and styles and co-creating artist-led programs for a variety of community service organizations. The company highly values the creation of an inventive, creative, empathetic, and inclusive community that inspires joy, self-discovery, kinder discourse, and opportunity for all.
CREATING TOP-TIER PRODUCTIONS AND PROGRAMS THROUGH RACIAL EQUITY-CENTERED STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION IS A TOP PRIORITY OF OPERA OMAHA BECAUSE WE VALUE AND PROMOTE DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION.
HOW YOU’D FIT IN + STAND OUT
Opera Omaha is seeking a Director of Artistic Administration responsible for the overall supervision and logistics of the Artistic Department including the casting process, rehearsal schedule, artistic budget, artist contracts, and chorus-related matters, and to act as liaison and main contact for the orchestra contractor. This position is integral to the identification of new and upcoming artists and productions.
The Director of Artistic Administration works in close partnership with the General Director, senior staff, and other members of the staff to develop and advance the company’s mission and vision. They are organized, strategic, and creative, as well as diplomatic and adept at solving problems. They contribute to a positive team environment built on mutual respect and trust.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES + EXPECTATIONS
• Work closely with the General Director to identify and recommend artists and programming.
• Engage in strategic planning with General Director and senior staff.
• Manage and provide leadership and guidance to the Artistic Administrator and Head of Music
• Negotiate contracts with key partners, including performance venues, orchestras, labor unions, commissions of new works, as well as rental and royalty agreements.
• Negotiate company media content rights and obligations for promotional, educational, archival, and/or commercial uses.
• Assist with engagement programs and development events as needed.
• Oversee the budget and cash flow projections for the Artistic Department; manage expenses to operate within budget.
• Work closely with the Artistic Administrator and the Director of Production to create the rehearsal schedule.
• Attend Opera Omaha performances and events, participate in board meetings as assigned, represent Opera Omaha at civic and cultural events demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
Job Conditions and Work Hours:
Opera Omaha is a high-energy organization with a mission that can cause this position to experience high work demands under very tight timelines. This role requires a willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Medical, dental, and life insurance as part our commitment to investing in the health and wellbeing of our employees.
• Retirement savings plans: 403b savings plan with Company Retirement Contribution
• Flexible time off and holiday pay
YOU ARE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF YOU:
• Are highly knowledgeable in opera, theater, and producing.
• Have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Possess outstanding oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrate success motivating and developing staff.
• Have a positive attitude and willingness to be a contributing team member.
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in arts administration or related degree a strong plus.
• Professional experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Minimum seven years of non-profit performing arts management experience required, including staff leadership.
• Demonstrated skills in casting and/or artist management.
• Experience with non-profit boards and volunteers.
Opera Omaha seeks applicants from ALL backgrounds to join the team and encourages employees to bring their authentic, original, and best selves to work.
Opera Omaha is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.