Community Engagement Coordinator
1900 Market Street, FL 8
Philadelphia, PA 19103
As a community-based culture change organization, our work is done by, with, and for our community. SAADA is seeking a full-time Community Engagement Coordinator to join our team and support increased participation by community members and allies in SAADA’s work, as donors, volunteers, contributors of stories and materials, and supporters in other ways. In this role, you will greatly increase SAADA’s ability to engage our community in our work.
[Note: We’re also currently hiring for an Education Outreach Manager]
SAADA ensures that South Asian Americans are included in the American story: past, present, and future. Learn more at https://www.saada.org
For the past thirteen years, SAADA has documented, preserved, and shared stories of the more than 5.4 million individuals in the U.S. who trace their heritage to South Asia, the fastest growing immigrant group in the country. Our digital archive is the largest publicly accessible collection of stories and materials about South Asian Americans, and includes hundreds of oral history interviews, photographs, newspaper clippings, community publications, videos, born-digital materials, and much more. We also collaborate with artists, scholars, filmmakers, journalists, and community members to create content and raise awareness about our community’s rich and diverse history. Some recent examples of SAADA projects include:
- The publication of Our Stories, a first-of-its-kind book for high school and college-aged readers that brings together the voices and perspectives of sixty-four authors and demonstrates the diversity, vibrancy, and power of the South Asian American community
- Revolution Remix, our walking tour of Philadelphia through the lens of South Asian American history, with stories from the 1780s up to the present day, and an accompanying soundtrack of original musical compositions by five artists
- Our Archival Creators Fellowship Program, which supports community members in creating archival collections that reflect the histories and perspectives of marginalized groups within the South Asian American community
Our work has been recognized with awards from the American Historical Association and Society of American Archivists and has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Atlantic, NPR, and other national and international media.
We are excited to now be building our team so we can expand the reach and impact of our work and increase the visibility of our community’s stories. Together, we’re creating a future where each person’s story is valued and given the dignity and importance it deserves.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will report to and work closely with SAADA’s Executive Director to create avenues for community members and allies to support SAADA’s work as donors, volunteers, contributors of stories and materials, and in other ways. For the right candidate, this role provides an opportunity to learn, grow, and expand your professional skillset. We invite applications from those who have experience in one or more of the areas below.
Donor Engagement (35%)
- Preparing and sending timely gift acknowledgements and donor correspondence in order to demonstrate SAADA’s appreciation for our donors
- Producing targeted direct mail campaigns for communications, solicitation, and invitations
- Conducting donor research for fundraising staff
- Following up with gift pledges to ensure that payments are received
- Coordinating and supporting SAADA’s peer-to-peer fundraising efforts
- Maintaining SAADA’s donor database in Salesforce, including data entry and maintenance
- Designing and generating custom reports of donors, event attendees, and other contacts
- Assisting SAADA’s Executive Director and fundraising staff with the cultivation and stewardship of individual donors
Volunteer Engagement (35%)
- Implementing volunteer recruitment, orientation/onboarding, retention, and recognition efforts
- Building effective relationships with volunteers by providing ongoing communication and engagement through each volunteer’s tenure
- Maintaining regular communication with volunteers to build relationships and ensure that volunteers can contribute meaningfully to SAADA’s work
- Coordinating and planning online and in-person events to engage volunteers
- Engaging volunteers in SAADA’s mission and assisting each person in having a positive experience and meaningful impact
Event Planning (10%)
- Working collaboratively with other SAADA staff to support organizing of events, both online and in-person, including securing venues, coordinating with vendors, pursuing sponsorship opportunities, creating marketing materials, arranging travel, communicating with participants, etc.
- Working collaboratively with other SAADA staff to supervise details related to the successful running of events.
Reference and Partnership Requests (10%)
- Corresponding with community members who approach SAADA and working with SAADA’s Executive Director to help address their requests
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Pursuing professional development opportunities and trainings
- Other duties as assigned to support SAADA’s community engagement efforts
Terms, Salary, and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position with a starting salary range of $50,000 – $55,000. Benefits include a health insurance stipend, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, retirement plan with employer match, professional development funds, and paid time off.
This is a hybrid position, with one required in-office day per week and other on-site meetings, as needed. SAADA’s office is located at 1900 Market Street, FL 8, Philadelphia, PA, 19103.
SAADA is an equal opportunity employer.
- 2-3 years of professional experience in a non-profit setting
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, and analytical skills
- Strong skills as both a self-starter and team player
- Strong interpersonal, verbal communication, and writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including through email, by telephone, video calls, and in-person
- Experience with Google Workspace or Microsoft Suite applications
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to independently prioritize daily tasks and meet simultaneous deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and ensuring high quality work
- Must be available evenings, weekends, and for occasional travel as required for meetings and events (on average 2-3 times per month)
- A demonstrated commitment to the South Asian American community and ensuring that marginalized voices are included in the American story