Call for Submissions: NYC ROAR Story Slam
Korean American Story
Scarsdale, NY 10583
The ROAR Story Slam is a live storytelling competition held in New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago where 5 to 6 finalists, who have been specially selected from our submission pool, will perform on stage presenting their unique, creative, and authentic Korean American story. Each finalist will have no more than six minutes to tell their stories, without the use of scripts nor props. A panel of distinguished judges will watch and score each performance, and announce the winners at the end of the event.
If selected, all finalists will be provided a free storytelling coaching session from our coach Sheila Ivy Traister – veteran actress, director, and story coach.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age. There is no entry fee.
- All entries must be in English. Any Korean or other language used must be translated.
- Stories must be personal and true as remembered. Submissions must in some way involve being Korean American, but may be about the extraordinary or the ordinary, tragic or funny, heavy or light. Styles may vary and creativity is encouraged.
- Finalists must be available to compete in person at the live ROAR Story Slam event location that they registered for. At the ROAR live finals, stories must be told without scripts or props at a standing microphone.
- All finalists must agree to sign a waiver allowing the use of the live competition video by KoreanAmericanStory.org
HOW TO ENTER
- Please submit a video of yourself telling your story no longer than 6 minutes.
- Storytellers may hold/reference scripts, but may not use any other props.
- The video should be filmed at half-body distance (no close-ups), ideally with a simple indoor background.
- Please upload your video as “Unlisted” on YouTube.
- If you are submitting something you have presented elsewhere, you are still required to adhere to this format. Please do not submit an old video unless it conforms to this required format.