Assistant Technical Director
College of St. Benedict/St. John's University
St. Joseph, MN 56374
To fulfill the purpose of Theater Department at CSB/SJU a successful candidate for the position of Assistant Technical Director embraces the opportunity to facilitate artistic experiences that foster connections within the community on campus and off. With an exceptional commitment to quality the Assistant Technical Director works with the production team to manage the scene shop and support the execution of theater department and campus productions. As a “teaching technician”, a successful candidate believes in mentoring students, facilitating and creating skill-building experiences that will contribute to the overall success of student academic and experiential learning. The Assistant Technical Director works to support the Theater department’s mission of scholarly and artistic creativity thru the integration of theory and experience. In addition, the position provides general event support to Fine Arts Series performances when necessary.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. Learn more in our Institutional Statement on Diversity and in our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
Academic Production Support
The Asst. Technical Director works with the production team to support Theater Department productions including preparation, performance, and post event care. Support for productions includes but is not limited to:
- Overseeing daily scene shop operations, scenic construction, and painting.
- Ensuring the construction of all scenic design elements within the designated time as determined by the overall production schedule.
- Creating shop build drawings and production plans.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, and plots.
- Attending all Design and Production Meetings.
- Working with Designers and Production Manager to determine costs, labor and revisions.
- Assisting in pulling/procuring props and managing the stock inventory.
- Managing production budgets for scenery and props.
- Tracking and maintaining the scene shop inventory (materials and equipment).
- Attending Technical Rehearsals as needed.
- Creating plans and participating in Load-ins, Strikes and Changeovers.
- Assisting in the supervision of student staff in other stage production areas including: Rigging installations - Lighting hang/focus - Live audio systems - Projection/video systems (including livestreaming technology).
- Assist with prop design/construction and some painting of scenery
- Student & Student Employee Management
The Asst. Technical Director is the primary supervisor of the scene shop and is responsible for oversight and instructions of the students and student workers, so that shop experiences are positive, productive and safe.
Trains students in the safe use of power and hand tools used in scenic construction including welding and scenic painting.
Supervising student technical employees (20+), including assigning work, training and coaching.
Training of all student technical staff in coordination with Production Manager and Technical Director on the safe and proper operation of other theatrical equipment including but not limited to:
- Counterweight fly systems
- Stage lifts and elevators
- Theatrical lighting fixtures
- Computerized lighting and audio consoles
- Assists the Technical Director with coordinating student labor among projects to best serve the team’s needs, and the institutions’ greater goals.
- Helps with recruiting, managing and retaining student employees/student volunteers
- Care for Technical Equipment & Resources.
- Advises the Production Manager / Technical Director of needed repairs to spaces and/or equipment in the Benedicta Arts Center and assists in the repair and upkeep of those spaces as needed.
- Maintains current knowledge of all stage and shop equipment and supervises training and preventative maintenance on all said equipment.
- In conjunction with the Production Manager, coordinate equipment use by the production team.
- Implements and monitors policies to ensure a safe work environment in the shop, backstage, and onstage areas. Is an active member in CSB/SJU Fine Arts Safety Committee.
- Provides an annual technical inventory of all shop and stage equipment with recommendations for replacement, or refurbishment.
- Participates in all annual department reviews as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field and/or considerable professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High level of carpentry, welding, and other scenic construction skills.
- Exceptional ability to adapt and solve problems in a fast paced frequently changing work environment.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings, plots, and related technical documents.
- Ability to engage effectively with a variety of personalities and skill levels, while maintaining strong customer service values and maintaining kindness and respect.
- Strong employee management and supervision skills.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Ability to train and mentor students on shop tools, stage, and technical equipment.
- Valid US Driver’s license.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends on a regular basis.
- Excellent computer skills including Vectorworks, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop.
- Must be able to withstand long hours of concentrated physical activity.
- Must be able to work in catwalks, on grids and on ladders.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Physical limitations cannot totally hinder the ability to perform tasks.