Art Critic Mentoring Program
Cue Art Foundation
137 West 25th Street, Ground Floor
New York, NY 10001
Feb 09, 2023
Dec 21, 2022
CUE’s Art Critic Mentorship Program (ACMP) is open to writers of any age in the early stages of their careers who meet the eligibility guidelines outlined below. The writer selection process consists of a nomination and open call hybrid. Writers are awarded a $600 honorarium.
ELIGIBILITY FOR EMERGING WRITERS:
- CUE’s Art Critic Mentoring Program Open Call is for emerging writers of any age who:
- Have a demonstrated art writing practice or experience analyzing works of art in a textual format.
- Please note that advanced degrees or degrees of any sort are not required for this writing opportunity.
- Must currently live and work in the city where the open call is being held.
- Must be open to receiving mentorship and incorporating feedback from an art critic appointed by CUE/AICA.
- Must not regularly publish monthly reviews or essays for a mainstream arts publication (i.e. Artforum, Art in America, Frieze, etc.).
- Must not have published a book or be currently under contract for a forthcoming book with a large commercial publisher (short chapbooks and similar publications by small, independent printers are acceptable).
- Preference will be given to those who do not currently hold an editorial or staff writer position at a prominent arts publication or those who have held such positions for less than 3 years.
- Two writing samples, max. 10 pages total: – The strongest samples are reviews, blog entries, short essays, and short-form writing. These may be published or unpublished texts. – Must be contemporary visual arts-related (no dance, literature, podcast/radio journalism, or commercial/feature film analysis). – School papers, research papers, dissertations, exhibition proposals/summaries, and artwork wall labels are not accepted.
- A current CV containing relevant experience, max. 4 pages.
- Your writing samples and CV must be submitted as separate PDF documents (max. 14 pages total), with the filenames labeled as follows: “ACMP application_Your Name_Location_File Name” (for example: "ACMP application_Jane Doe_NYC_Writing Sample”).
If you are unsure about your eligibility or have any other questions about the program, please email us at email@example.com.