Scenic Carpenter (IATSE Local 5)
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park
962 Mt Adams Cir
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion in all areas of its work, both on and offstage. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and life experiences to the workplace are especially encouraged to apply.
Position: Scenic Carpenter (IATSE Local 5)
Reports to: Technical Director
Classification: Full-Time, Seasonal, Hourly
Position Start Date: July 25, 2022
Responsible for fabricating, installing, and striking all elements of theatrical scenery.
This is a full-time, seasonal position. Current IATSE membership is not a prerequisite to application. Benefits include health insurance (through the union) and paid vacation.
- Reading and understanding build drawings generated by the TD or Assistant TD
- Fabricating scenic pieces to the specifications of the build drawings
- Using a wide variety of hand and power tools as well as typical woodshop equipment including cutting, sanding, and fastening tools to construct wood structures
- Using metalworking tools and equipment as well as MIG welders to construct metal structures
- Producing high quality finished scenery from a variety of non-traditional materials including plastics, foam, and fabrics
- Operating CNC router and vacuum former when necessary
- Assembling, wiring, testing, and installing motor-controlled automation equipment and devices.
- Assembling, testing, and installing pneumatic and hydraulic automation equipment and devices.
- Transporting scenery to and from theaters as needed in company owned or rented vehicles
- Installing & striking scenery including built pieces, drapery, rigging, automation, and all other relevant items into the theaters.
- Cleaning and organizing the scene shop and stage areas including tools, materials, and workspaces on an ongoing basis
- Ensuring and promoting a safe working environment by participating in all safety training, maintaining tools, equipment, and facilities, and following all prescribed safety protocol
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- Self-motivated team player that can meet deadlines and embrace a safety-oriented work environment.
- Ability to self-critique and correct their work while maintaining sensitivity to the overall artistic vision.
- Ability to produce high quality finished scenery from theatrical construction prints using a variety of materials including wood, steel, aluminum, foam, plastics, and fabric.
- Capacity for communicating and sharing information, including complications, with supervisors, co-workers, and other CPIP personnel.
- 3-5 years’ experience in technical theater or equivalent industry or field.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency in steel MIG welding.
- Experience with CNC and vacuum forming machinery, and construction techniques.
- Experience with stage rigging, both counterweight and chain motor.
- Familiarity with installation, operation and maintenance of stage and scenery equipment such as winches, pneumatics and hydraulic actuators, and motion control systems.
- Familiarity with basic electrical principals and safety, including basic troubleshooting and reading of schematics.
- Enthusiasm for learning new techniques, increasing competency with current industry practices, and expanding problem-solving skills.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Able to stand for long periods of time and kneel, stoop, bend, crawl, or squat frequently.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and strong hand-eye coordination.
- Comfortable working on ladders, lifts, and scaffolding.
The physical demands and safe working expectations described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
All employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park continues to monitor the pandemic situation. Qualified candidates will be expected to comply with Playhouse’s health and safety plan – while at work and outside work – that continues to be updated per latest state and Federal guidelines.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, requirements, or expectations of this position. Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park reserves the right to revise or amend this description based on business needs or changes to the work environment.