Director of Marketing & Sales
Boston Lyric Opera
15 Channel Center Street, #106
The Director of Marketing & Sales leads all marketing, sales, and earned revenue strategies for Boston Lyric Opera’s main stage operas, digital offerings, and public programming. This position leads the Marketing and Box Office teams, working closely with the Development team, and acts as a key collaborator across the Company. This role establishes annual earned revenue budgets and is responsible for meeting or exceeding these goals, as well as managing marketing expense budgets. This position will also lead audience development initiatives, developing strategies by which to collect patron and general community demographic data and to synthesize that gathered information to help inform sales strategy, program planning, and reporting for project outcomes. This position provides leadership for key box office and theater operations and serves as requires strong decision-making and problem- solving skills across all areas.
- Develop strategic marketing plans and initiatives that strengthen BLO’s institutional brand and advance its artistic vision while maximizing engagement, attendance, and revenue for all BLO programming and initiatives, including mainstage productions, public programs, community performances, and other company-led events.
- Leads advertising strategy and procurement for the Company, aspects of advertising campaigns and schedules for BLO’s mainstage productions, digital offerings, public programs, and other institutional needs
- Manage BLO digital marketing consultant relationship, leading BLO strategy and supporting operational needs for the partnership.
- Manages branding elements for the organization and is a catalyst for innovation, spotting new trends, and continually refreshes BLO’s customer engagement infrastructure.
- Manage marketing expense budget, working closely with the Sr Director of Public Engagement to support strategy and forecasting; responsible for providing regular reporting; ensure adherence to financial guidelines.
- Develop sales strategies, pricing models, revenue goals, and growth projections to maximize ticket sales revenue across digital and live performances, lead sales analysis, budgeting, and reporting.
- Create data-driven strategies that drive ticket sales and attendance to meet or exceed earned revenue goals, including single ticket sales, subscriptions, memberships, group, corporate and young professional ticket sales, etc.
- Maximize ticket, subscription, and package sales across digital and live performances; key collaborator in building season roll-out and campaigns.
- In conjunction with Marketing teams, inform sequence and key messaging in web, print, direct mail, email, social media, and digital advertising.
- Devise effective offerings that drive acquisition, engagement, and retention of worldwide operabox.tv viewership and audience pipeline.
- Establish consistent and strategic promotion, discount and segmentation strategies, with focus on creating continuity and equity amongst BLO’s various constituencies.
- Identify, develop, and manage additive revenue activities, such as advertising in BLO publications; corporate events, direct mail, and other sales campaigns, including telemarketing and new subscriber activities, etc.
- Oversight of relationships with current and prospective ticketing outlets.
ANALYSIS & REPORTING:
- Develops pricing models, goals, and annual growth projections; oversees analysis and communications of projections to budget to leadership team and finance stakeholders.
- Create adaptive pricing models for both in-person and digital programs; work to ensure live and digital pricing structure matches content value.
- Lead in evaluating efficacy of Company activities against audience and revenue goals; assesses ROI and effectiveness of paid and earned marketing efforts.
- Develop reporting suite; provide routine updates tracking to goal and develop rolling forecasts.
- Act as primary departmental contact for annual end-of-year company audit for earned revenue; work closely with Finance team on earned revenue reconciliations.
- Directs significant processes for BLO’s external presence and works across the Company to execute projects and initiatives that are integrated into the Company’s strategic plan.
- Co-lead ongoing CRM (Customer Relationship Management) roadmap ideation and development within Tessitura; work with other departments to leverage revenue growth opportunities.
- A key contributor in discussions that advance the Company; stay informed on latest trends across performing arts and entertainment fields; and technology/tools that might advance BLO’s objective of maximizing earned income.
- Provide supervision and leadership for marketing and box office teams.
- A self-starter who is driven to meet and surpass each goal.
- A leader who inspires teams to problem solve with enthusiasm and humor.
- A champion for creating equitable spaces.
- Passionate about the performing arts and bonus points if its opera.
- A dynamic, small team with big ambitions; we move quickly to adapt to the needs of our artists, patrons, and the world around us.
- Believers that opera can be everything and everywhere – an art form that belongs to all.
- A team unified around all areas of public engagement, taking an integrated approach to the audience experience, from community and public programming, to how we communicate and welcome diverse audiences into the theater.
- 5-10 years in marketing, sales, and/or customer service roles, and/or equivalent educational background in business, marketing, and/or sales.
- Understanding of direct marketing practices and key sales drivers; deep understanding of audience segmentation.
- Experience growing sales or audience engagement including research/analysis with actionable audience insights, recommendations, and action.
- Tessitura or other CRM experience required.
- Familiarity with Prospect2/HubSpot/other email marketing platforms, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, Canva, and/or HTML strongly preferred.
- Comfort learning and training others on new technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; attention to detail; high level of discretion and judgment.
- Excellent time and project management skills; the ability to prioritize and meet simultaneous deadlines.
- Experience managing both direct reports and temporary staff.
- Experience in arts or entertainment preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
The position is full-time, non-exempt. Regular business hours are Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work with seasonal high-volume periods. Administrative work is currently hybrid/remote, as BLO staff continue to adapt to COVID-19 precautions. Regular onsite work is required for BLO performances and events in Boston and across the greater Boston area (both during the week and/or on weekends). Ideal candidates for this role will live in the greater Boston Area.
The salary range for this position is between $85,000.00 - $100,000.00 based on a candidate’s experience and skills, in addition to a benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision coverage, an Unlimited Vacation policy, 8-hours of paid Volunteer time, and 401k retirement plan.